Confession

Archives1

Staff member
I'm new here and wondering what you think. I feel have to go to pee like pretty much all the time. Sometimes 5 minutes after I just went or 5 times in an hour. It's not that I can't hold it, but sometimes I'll wear pull ups because I just can't get anything done otherwise and especially at work I'll spend all day worrying that I might have an accident. Is this bad? Will wearing products make my symptoms worse? Is this really abnormal for a 39 year old man?

I don't think wearing protection will worsen your symptoms. Having this urge is not normal for a man or woman at every age, yet something many of us on this forum suffer from. Have you seen a doctor yet? There are quite a lot medication that could help.

Wearing protection is just a solution for your problem. I suggest you see a doctor to ensure there is not anything major causing your issues that they need to address.

I am a 39 year old male up in Canada and I can say I wear protection 24/7 to manage my issues. So don’t think your alone. Honestly you would be shocked at how many people need to wear protection.

Welcome here and thanks for posting. You are not alone.

Cheers

Jason

Hi,Teddy here,did you have any major operation?If not it really doesn't matter, I suggest that you should do Kegel exercises. My wife hairdresser didn't have any major operation but she was leaking so she did her Kegel exercises and she is OK,take care

Actually, I did go to my PCP. He did a urine test, which I didn't hear about again so I guess was fine? He thought maybe it was prostatitis and gave me some antibiotics. I took them but it didn't make much of a difference. Honestly, it seemed like I was making him uncomfortable bringing up the topic, which is stressful because I don't really know what to do next. Jason, thanks for the comment, because feeling "alone" with this is part of the challenge. From what I read on the internet, it seems that guys don't have this issue. I never had a major operation and I'm otherwise pretty healthy, so I really don't know what's causing it.

It would be a good idea to see a urologist to get your condition investigated more thoroughly. When it comes to wearing and using protection, the idea is to lead as comfortable and productive life as possible. I have urge incontinence and definitely understand what it’s like to be thinking constantly about the possibility of having an accident and not being able to get done the things that you need or want to do. Wearing protection has make my life much more productive and less fraught with anxiety.

You could be having trouble processing sugar or something. I have recently noticed that i have a lot more leakage taking a mens vitamin that i have recently started taking. Alcohol has the same effect on me. Could be diabetic maybe.

Thanks all of you for the friendly advice. I can say caffeine really sets things off for me, but I don't think I'm diabetic. Would that show up on a urine test? As for the urologist, what exactly would they do? Not sure if I'm ready for that...

A urologist would probably test your urine more thoroughly than your GP did and order a bunch of specialized blood tests. He or she would also very likely prescribe one or more drugs that help many people who are experiencing incontinence. There are several such drugs, and a likely scenario would be to try them out one at a time in order to hopefully find one that works for you. If the urine or blood tests show any problems, the urologist might then order more invasive exams to look at the inside of your bladder and/or urethra. The invasive exams are not fun, but they are not nearly as bad as you likely fear.

You need to see a urologist. There are many reasons why this could be happening. Its the only way to get at the root of the problem.

I'm sorry you're having these issues.

I'm male, and I have fought with similar problems since my early 30s, so there's nothing unusual about being male and 39 and having problems. They can happen to anyone at any time - many websites make it sound as though it's only women who have overactive bladder and interstitial cystitis, for instance, but I can tell you that it ain't so!

What you're experiencing isn't normal, though, and is something that really needs to be evaluated by a doctor. Too many people suffer urgency and incontinence in silence, rather than going through the embarrassment of talking to a urologist. The problems you're having aren't something to be ashamed of. It can be embarrassing to bring up with a doctor, but the only way to get it evaluated and find a treatment strategy that works for you is to start the conversation.

See a Urologist. They can help much more than a PCP. Not something you should put off since it is possible that they can fix your issue.