Condom catheter

Archives1

Staff member
Trying to buy one for my 89 year old dad who just had knee replacement surgery and is having difficulty getting to the bathroom. I’m looking in Amazon and very confused. I was told to get a 2000ml bag, but guess I expected I would just look up condom catheter and get everything I need. So...looks like in need to order the piece parts. Can anyone recommend a reliable bag that goes attaches to condom caths? Also, any recommended condom types? Anything else I should know? Thanks! This is a great group of people!

You will need to find out what size he will need if you call colipast they can sometimes the can send you a samples some Dr can give you a sample also my urologist gave me a bunch of samples and different styles of bags also if you look up condom catheters on line the other companies that make them can send samples also only way to find out what works best for you is try them with samples also read articles about them to find items you might need along side I have to use a skin barrier wipe before I put catheter on or I get sore from the adhesive they use also if he is going to use them after he gets up he may want to get extention tubes make sure it flows down hill or you might get UTIs faster

Hollister also used to provide an excellent new patient starter kit if you call or go to their website. Also, for guys who can’t use the normal condom caths. (Short or retracted) Bioderm makes an amazing hydrocoloid material product that just sticks to the tip of the penis (glans). They now connect to a bag directly and it goes inside your underwear.
I found out long ago that if you attach a tubing vent to a leg bag or overnight bag they work great. Just what I learned from my own use in the past. If you use the current setup it should work amazing too.

You will probably find that if you make sure public hair has been removed or trimmed from the shaft it makes a big difference. Especially when you go to remove or roll off the condom catheter.
Also, skin prep wipes help the adhesive stick much better. Sure someone would probably already tell you that. They sting a little when you first wipe the skin but it goes away pretty quick.

I started with Coloplast Conveen but found the length was too long and cut me underneath. I went to Hollister and their sheaths are more suitable for me. I connect to a 3 litre night bag from Great Bear Healthcare at night, these bags have a really long pipe length so I can twist and turn all night long. Hollister make some very comfortable discreet day leg bags too. I use the Coloplast Active bag and rip the leg strap off and place it in my underwear and use like a bellybag.

Hi Laalaa,
That is great thinking. Coloplast has some excellent leg bags. Wish they had a version of bellybag. That would be nice.
Thanks again for the tip on the other company. Will check them out.

I use Bard caths but I only use them at night because the bags won't work for me on my leg they keep backing up even with the leg strap during the day I use pull ups or diapers when traveling.

What's the story on venting collection bags? Is it required for smooth flow or a pain and potential leakage opportunity?

Here is a trick I learned a few years ago.
I always liked the coloplast bags because they have dividers that prevent urine from sloshing in the bag. When I was using them they didn’t have a vented bag at the time so I saved the vent from the tubing from a Hollister bag and connected it to the condom catheter and added a short piece of tubing to the coloplast bag. Hope that makes sense. Makes for a great vent system and the condom cath wouldn’t get sucked off your penis. I use other products now but back then it was a good fix at the time.