Clothing Solution: Half-Elasticated Waist

Archives1

Staff member
So, ever since having to wear really bulky products, I've struggled with the waist on trousers/pants and shorts. The standard waisted ones never seem to have enough room to accommodate a nappy and the fully elasticated ones just seem too loose and being in a wheelchair, that means that they ride up and down too easily and the shorts often come up too high.

I've been wearing some semi-elasticated waist cargo shorts in the summer and have found them to be a real godsend as the elasticated back means there's room for the nappy but the standard front means they stay put.

Hope this helps someone else who's been having issues!

I am incontinent and not AB/DL but I have a condition on my legs that causes me to have my legs wrapped in compression wraps and for about the last year I have been going to wound care twice a week to have these wraps changed well since my legs need access I have been mainly having to wear athletic pants that either unzip or unsnap up the legs Tear away pants work well but it's been years since I have been able to wear jeans well I recently bought a pair of snap jeans from Tykeables and these jeans have snaps all the way up the inside legs up to the crotch just like toddler jeans well they gave me the freedom to be able to wear jeans again and because they are meant to mimic Toddler Jeans they also have elastic in the back half of the waistband but they are a bit pricey the first pair I bought was $80.00 I was able to buy two on sale at $60.00 each this may be of help to you or others but that is what helped me and since these jeans are made for ab/dl wear they are made to be worn with diapers but they have recently came out with some new jeans and other pants that instead of snaps in the crotch area they have velcro and personally I can visualize velcro as a potential wardrobe failure

clickable text
f2a762216d7f4606bc57bc7354ccd2c7.jpg

@DPCARE

You got to do what you got to do. Clothing is a big issue with disabilities. I had to go up one size pants just to fix my Betterdry diapers. If I was only using pull-ups I would totally look into something like those pants.

I have a bit of insight into the special/custom clothing market as my mother is a great sewer. Snaps are not bad but require a bunch of extra work.

My mom use to make zip-up pants for my disabled great uncle. The zipper alone was $35 and that was 15+ years ago.

It is crazy how expensive special/custom clothing is.

it's expensive because we are a niche market anything special needs or medical you can just about double the cost over non-special needs

ThatFLGuy said:
@DPCARE

You got to do what you got to do. Clothing is a big issue with disabilities. I had to go up one size pants just to fix my Betterdry diapers. If I was only using pull-ups I would totally look into something like those pants.

I have a bit of insight into the special/custom clothing market as my mother is a great sewer. Snaps are not bad but require a bunch of extra work.

My mom use to make zip-up pants for my disabled great uncle. The zipper alone was $35 and that was 15+ years ago.

It is crazy how expensive special/custom clothing is.

@DPCARE

True.

The biggest thing for me is finding pants and shorts that don't scream that I have a diaper on. That was an issue with some pants that I own already.

@DPCARE - I actually have a pair of those but find them too baggy. The issue I have is that I'm tall and so had to go quite high up waist wise to get the leg length but they're just too big, even with a belt. Luckily, the half-elasticated waist trousers I've found don't seem too bad in that regard.

@ThatFLGuy Agreed on the cost of adaptive clothing - various pieces of special needs clothing I've got aren't cheap and definitely more expensive than regular counterparts.

I also have found that it's hard to be discreet with clothing, especially the bulkier products. Going a size up with some stretch in the waist is the only thing that's worked for me, coupled with a baggy shirt or jumper to counteract any peekage about the waistband. I've found that special needs vests/jumpsuits are great at eliminating the waistband issue but in the summer it's too much to add another layer as I'm really intolerant to the heat as it is.

So, my mom is a seamstress and can sew just about anything. I was talking to her about the heat and having to wear an undershirt (Onesie or the like) to keep things hidden.

She mentioned that I could get some athletic tank tops and then add snaps to the bottom as well as a pair of boxers. That would fix the whole issue altogether and the snaps and the tool to put them on are cheap. They are the same kind of snaps that they use on cloth diapers so they hold up well. Then after snapping you just pull the shoulders of the tank top up like you would a singlet.

Going to try this when she gets back to PA next week.