Cloth VS Disposable Diaper. Which is more beneficial?

Archives1

Staff member
No doubt this subject has been discussed in the past on preference of disposable diapers VS cloth.
On occasion there has been some commentary from other members in the forum who seem to favor the use of cloth and plastic pant, so I thought I might consider trying the cloth out a bit more.

I’ve always found myself to be a fan of disposable briefs for nighttime wetting protection, but lately have been trying out the cloth diapers a bit more.
Obviously when traveling or on outings, I’m personally going to put on a disposable.

When I was still in the workforce, I always used a disposable for the convenience of getting up in the morning and getting ready for work.
Occasionally, I would try a cloth diaper on a weekend when time allowed for the laundering process.
However, I never quite cared for the use or comfort of plastic pants, or what I found available on the market.
There also is the bulkiness of wearing cloth over disposables.

I eventually tried some all-in-one style briefs, but would experience leaks more than not. Wet bed sheets are a pain in so many ways.
Also, for me it was the stigma of wearing the cloth diaper and how my wife would feel about it.

Recently retired and suddenly on a fixed income has encouraged me to explore the use of cloth diapering at nighttime.
Both for the purpose of savings and now having the time for the maintenance of cloth diapering.
Admittedly, I do find that there is a comfort factor of cloth as well as a higher absorbency that is a benefit.

I found a couple of brands that seem to work well for my body type and finally found a plastic pant that fits without the discomfort of the elastics on the waist and legs.

I’d be willing to share information on those. However, I am curious about the experience others feel on the use of wearing cloth vs disposables and what style of cloth and plastic pants work well.
Still looking for solutions and options.

Has there ever been any studies that show the benefits of wearing cloth over disposable?
Costs, comfort, absorption, convenience, health?
Are there health risks?

For now I balance both, but tend to use the disposable more often.
I am very concerned at the ever growing cost for disposable diapers. So I’m trying to be open minded about it.

I don’t want to assume, but there must be others that share some of these feelings and consideration.

I too would love to save money with cloth but have never quite got the process down right. I always seem to have weeping around the plastic. Would love hear what others think, but I'm due to try again and see if I can make a dent in my spending rate. Inflation is tightening up alp aspects of life quickly.

I have 5 or 6 sealed cloth (They’re known as Super Undies) from Threaded Armor. Size 36-40 waist with extra inserts for additional protection. As I bought these during one of their annual sales but decided to stay with disposables as my problems are getting better and I don’t have access to laundry every day I’m looking to sell these for a discounted price than what I bought them for (plus shipping). Let me know if you are interested.

I have started experimenting with cloth prefolds at night and occasionally when i am home in the day. While it is more work i have been happy with the results.

Since I only bedwet, I use an overnight, cloth Pull-On diaper
With plastic pants. Only use disposable diapers on a short term vacation. I get mine from fetware.com. Not normally stocked, but can be ordered. Shop around because prices vary greatly. Found fetware has the best prices overall, plus great service.

I have tried the cloth diapers never liked them. I have been wearing disposable diapers for years never could feel comfortable in them. As for the price of diapers I have found some brands the work really good and only need to change about 4 times a day and is working for me.

I started using cloth diapers recently and I have been pleased with the comfort... If away from bathrooms for extended periods of time I still utilize disposable diaper and plastic pants when necessary.

I have switched entirely (except for traveling) to Ecoables pocket and fitted diapers. No more 100lb trash cans up the driveway and big brown boxes at our door. The system is great, you can add more absorbency as needed and changing is a snap. I have pre-folds and plastic pants but now I just use the prefolds as stuffers. The pocket diapers are high rise and high cut so they don’t ride low on the hips and legs. Very cool and comfortable and absorbent.

Found this company. I ordered some and like them.

Dependeco adult cloth diapers with Velcro closure
Dozens of different colors and prints, Sm,Md,Lg,Xl
Cotton, Flannel,AIO, or straight diaper styles available.

8d0b155aa501cf5ea9cc3799aff6a28c.jpg
4bc66eb74dd27392e7176c9fa79f4acd.jpg
a8ab464629596e130596d9466d0f1641.jpg

I've been a bedwetter for several years now, and started having urge incontinence in the daytime a few years ago, so I've tried many kinds of diapers.

Trying to find the best combo of what works for me and my budget, this is what I use now...

For night time, at home, I wear cloth prefold diapers and plastic pants. When traveling, I use a good disposable diaper, like BetterDry, sometimes with a booster pad inside. For my daytime urge incontinence, if I'm around the house, I don't need a diaper since the toilet is close by. But if I'm out and about and know I won't be REAL CLOSE to a restroom, I'll wear a disposable diaper and usually plastic pants, as extra protection.