Christmas Bladder Irritants

Archives1

Staff member
I’m curious to know how people’s bladders are responding to any change in routine/ diet over the festive period?

I was doing okay leading in to Christmas, but after a couple of days of snacking on chocolate with my family, drinking coffee and beer in larger quantities than I normally would (averaging maybe 2 x beers per day and 1 x coffee compared to pretty much zero diuretics in my normal routine), skating by on less sleep and sweating a lot more with beach activities, I’m experiencing bladder spasms and dribbling/ spurting urine every few minutes. I have resigned myself to wearing nappies until I can get things back under control and am hoping that my bladder will settle now that I’ve gone cold turkey on my Christmas vices.

I'll be completely honest; I'm starting to question bladder irritants because nothing is making my spasms/pain/UI go away.

I refrain from coffee/tea/alcohol due to religious beliefs. I do drink soda, but I don't think that's really an issue cause I used to binge drink energy drinks before I started having bladder issues.

Last night I went to sleep with urge and woke up with it. Stress may be a factor per the urologist - but I'm more concerned now on my future.

I never take my own advice; but don't beat yourself up for having to wear protection. It's not your fault.

Take care,
HC

@Honeeecombs that’s fair. I can also relate to the frustrating randomness of it all. Thanks. I’m actually not that bothered anymore by having to wear protection. I’ve embarrassed myself enough this year to know that I’d take incontinence products over wet pants any day of the week.

That's some strength man. I think I'm more concerned now is if I will be having to deal with this forever. I think that's what's been on my mind the past few days.

I'm still not fully on the coming to terms with the incontinence products ship. Some days I'm good, others it's like picking a scab that will never fully heal.

Coping skills I have found to be the best help. Keeping my mind off of it, and focusing on doing things that de-stress you. After work or on days off; I like to spend time playing video games or watching movies.

I can't tell you the amount of hours I have spent knowing that my body is constantly intermittently voiding but if I do something; I can forget about it.

It can take awhile of flushing yourself with filtered water and no energy drinks soda a single cup of coffee.
My problem started when I drank lemonade by the gallon one Florida summer and was under huge stress. I don't want to tell you how long it has taken to figure this out (sadly years of trial and error)but the more water you drink in a reasonable way and eschew the irritants the better the whole body functions including spasms. A week or so things improve
No coffee alcohol soda energy drinks

Hey maymay;

I don't think bladder irritants are really affecting me. I've been looking into a condition called "Interstitial Cystitus" the past few days. Doing small inquiries on Google.

I was diagnosed with OAB with Urge; but the more I do research on this condition; the more fearful I have that it is related to the pain I'm experiencing. From what I gathered it is a woman's disease - but I read some testimonials on men with the condition and its breaking my heart.

So the past two days; I've been wondering. Am i going to have to live with bladder issues forever? I'm only 28.

Honneecombs it sounds like interstim was a good option but the farming medical costs without insurance was a roadblock for you

Found a person who was 27 with IC. Go into the comments section bracing yourself. Hopefully I can get back on the interstim.

@Maymay941 thanks for your advice. I think I’ll be giving up alcohol and coffee for good after this experience. For me, it’s not worth the pain or worsened incontinence.

Rowan you can have some coffee some alcohol but match each cup and glass with a tall glass of water.

Drink a tall glass of water every hour or so
Two glasses or more if you are having fun and getting sweaty.

I'll be honest, when I woke up on christmas day with a completely full diaper, my first thought was, wow, merry christmas. I wasn't angry as such, but when you wake up christmas morning and the first thing you do is mess your diaper, your first thought isn't I expeccted to do that, the first thought (at least for me) is.. can't I just have a day off for christmas?

@Emily91 yeah, with no gallbladder I have had a few mornings waking up to not just a full wet diaper but a messy one at that. Chocolate is my kryptonite. Being that I wear diapers, I tend to just go with the flow. Basically go clean up and put on a new fresh diaper.