Chafing with Depends

Archives1

Staff member
My husband and I are an IC - that's incontinent couple. I can get away with Dollar Tree pads but he needs Depends. And the gathers at the leg opening are causing a rash which is really uncomfortable. He's begun putting powder around the leg openings but that does not do the trick.

Can anyone tell me any tips they might have used to conquer this sort of thing?

Thank you

I wore my boxer-briefs over the depends so that the depend would not move as much. Also the brief gives support to the depend pullup as it absorbs liquid.

Thank you. I have passed along these suggestions. We've not explored the world of incontinence supplies outside of our local pharmacy.

I assume that your husband is using the Depends pull-ups. Depends has at least four versions designed for men. They are Fit-Flex Underwear, Real Fit Briefs, Night Defense Underwear and Protection Plus. Each of the products has a little different design. I have tried everyone except the Protection Plus and prefer the Real Fit Briefs and Night Defense Underwear over the Fit-Flex. The sizing is also different in each version. I have found that the upper end of each size doesn't work for me. The Real Fit only has two size options and according to the sizing guide (both waist and hips) I should fit in the SM/M. However, I found the most comfortable fit in the LG/XL. The Night Defense has a slightly different range of sizes and I prefer the LG. Size makes a big difference in how the brief interacts at the waist and the legs.

There are other brands that can be purchased in retail stores and of course more varieties online. One thing I have noticed with the premium online brands is that they increase capacity by essentially increasing the size of the pad. I have not found this very comfortable. The Depends seem to have the right pad size for me. Of course this means they won't handle as much urine but changing regularly is the primary key to feeling comfortable and keeping your skin in good shape.

@HappilyRetired2 I agree with you.

@Faithab Any incontinence product can cause chafing. I get it even after just a couple of days wearing a pad.