Catheters

Archives1

Staff member
Hey,
Im new to this site, so i will introduce myself. I am a 20 year old female, i suffer from urinary retention and recurrent complex infections. I also have 4 kidneys, but trust me they are annoying.

When i started self cathing, i orderd the wong type of catheter amd now have 60+ catheters that i dont need and cant use. So i was wondering if anyone knows if/ where i can donate them? They are all unused, obviously, if they were used theyd be in the bin.

Throwing them away is a waste and in england you have to pay £9 per prescription, not a lot i know, but still some may not be able to afford it. Any international organisations i can donate to as well.

They are all coloplast 12ch femle catheters. I wasnt sure if I made it clear that were intermittent catheters so I thought I'd add that in.

Thank you x

I would try some of ISC/Self Cathing FB pages. They constantly have people on both side of the pond that have run out of catheters and are in panic mode.

How is ISC going for you? I'm debating trying a temporary SPC. A flip flow would give me a chance to use the bathroom like a normal person, and is discreet. If it doesn't work it isn't hard to reverse. My Uro had suggested I give it a try and I was initially dismissive, but incontinence sucks.

Hi Emma,
That is so nice of you! I’m in Maryland in the states but I’m sure someone can use them in your area. Good to hear from you. Hope you have a nice weekend, just wanted to say hello.

Kind regards,
Jim

NoCans said:
I would try some of ISC/Self Cathing FB pages. They constantly have people on both side of the pond that have run out of catheters and are in panic mode.

How is ISC going for you? I'm debating trying a temporary SPC. A flip flow would give me a chance to use the bathroom like a normal person, and is discreet. If it doesn't work it isn't hard to reverse. My Uro had suggested I give it a try and I was initially dismissive, but incontinence sucks.

In my second round of complete retention, before self catching, I had a indwelling catheter. At first the plan was for 2 weeks and after the second to have a flip flow. That didnt work out and I got loads of blood clots, so I couldn't use them.The nurses who put my indwelling one in missed 2 times so my bladder was really extended over 1.5 litres, hence the blood. I was in retention with no relief for a at lease 10 hours 😱.

However, they looked amazing. You can just tuck it in your underwear, no heavy bag on your leg. I would give it a try. You never know what will work untill you try it. I called the flip flow my fake penis lol.

ISC is amazing, since I started my infection rate has gone down, although I also take antibiotics every. It's not as hard as I thought and can do it by touch. It does take a little longer then going to the toilet normally, people at work thing I'm doing a number 2, but I just explain to them.

I wish you the best of luck with a flip flow my nurse said she had a flip flow and she found it amazing. And I will try the FB pages. Throwing them away is such a waste. Xxx.

jrpoorman said:
Hi Emma,
That is so nice of you! I’m in Maryland in the states but I’m sure someone can use them in your area. Good to hear from you. Hope you have a nice weekend, just wanted to say hello.

Kind regards,
Jim

Thank you, I hope you have a good weekend as well. It's a waste to throw them away, and its ridiculous you have to pay for a device you are medically bound to! No matter where you live.

The idea to find a forum for those who self cath is a good idea.
Just a thought to protect yourself though i would have the recipient send you a written letter atating she is acknowledging she is getting a gift of unused unopened catheters and you claim no responsibility for them after sending.
This is in case theoretically someine got an infection or such and tried to blame you.

Maymay941 said:
The idea to find a forum for those who self cath is a good idea.
Just a thought to protect yourself though i would have the recipient send you a written letter atating she is acknowledging she is getting a gift of unused unopened catheters and you claim no responsibility for them after sending.
This is in case theoretically someine got an infection or such and tried to blame you.

That's a good idea, I didnt think of that. I found a private FB page and have joined it. So hopefully can give them to someone who needs them.
The risk of infection is always present when self cathing, although the ones I use have a coating which reduces the risk, but still a good idea, just incase they try to claim otherwise. Thank you xxx

I’ve been presented with the option of a SPC due to retention. I didn’t know there was a temporary option that’s good to know. The flip valve sounds like something that I would like. I hope you find someone to take the intermittent catheters that needs them. They are covered by insurance here in the US (at least by Medicare and Medicaid). I got terrible infections from them.

justej said:
I’ve been presented with the option of a SPC due to retention. I didn’t know there was a temporary option that’s good to know. The flip valve sounds like something that I would like. I hope you find someone to take the intermittent catheters that needs them. They are covered by insurance here in the US (at least by Medicare and Medicaid). I got terrible infections from them.

Mine have a coating, which help prevent infection, but I got infections loads anyway. About 1 complex infection monthly, so in my case retention was causing infection. In england it's a normal prescription fee 👎. So I have to pay. Its ridiculous! But I hope you find a solution that suits you and your body. Good luck xxx.

Emma said:
Mine have a coating, which help prevent infection, but I got infections loads anyway. About 1 complex infection monthly, so in my case retention was causing infection. In england it's a normal prescription fee 👎. So I have to pay. Its ridiculous! But I hope you find a solution that suits you and your body. Good luck xxx.

Thanks! I was using Coloplast catheters as well but I don’t think they had anything on them but lube to help them go in. I saw my urologist a couple of weeks ago and she said I emptied pretty well in the office and wanted me to monitor it however since then I’ve had some retention. I’m going to have to call her this week and follow up. I’m going to ask about a temporary SPC and see what she says. And it’s crazy the things that are covered and things that aren’t. Here in the us catheters are covered but diapers aren’t. I have a paralyzed neurogenic bladder from an accident and have been struggling with this for 5 years. I have been dreading a SPC but maybe it will be for the best.

NoCans said:
Are you taking D-Mannose and Hipex?

I get trimethoprim prescribed, at 100mg for once a day. It sits in your bladder overnight to try and prevent infections. I also take cranberry extract everyday.
To be honest I've never heard of those before, but I googled them and it sounded like they help prevent infection.
Do you use them?

I did when Botox caused retention and they helped considerably, but currently no. They are commonly used supplements for ISC.