Catheters and diapers?

Archives1

Staff member
A while ago I was talking with my urologist about the inconvenience of having to change at work and cath with leg bag not working for me as I don't wear pants when not at work. My urologist suggest using a catheter and instead of wearing a leg bag, putting the stopper from the leg bag directly into the end of the catheter.

I recently tried this and it helped act like an artificial way of controlling when I pee as I just pull the stopper out and once I am done draining I replace it. Being new to trying this, I wore my normal diaper just in case, well I am glad I did as with the catheter in I was still wet. I can only guess I am leaking around the catheter.

I reached out to a friend who is a nurse specializing in catheters and she recommended trying a larger cath or using more water to fill the balloon ( the syringe I use is 10cc). I messaged my urologist and asked his opinion also just waiting to hear back.

Anyone else ever try this?
Did it work for you or did you experience issues also.

My urology does not like capping the Foley, then emptying, and maybe you will be lucky NOT to get a very bad UTI. My experience in all this is like going to school. I'm past the grades and a Freshman. Keep us posted how it works, be vigilant. And Yes, I have tried it. I wont again. Oh yes, they put a 24fr 30cc in me.

The reason urologists that are familiar with our problems are so against this is all about your kidneys. I tried this once and due to my spasms it just blew urine right around the catheter. I asked my urologist for a larger catheter and she was incredulous! She explained me I was very lucky, as that same pressure up the tiny ureters gets magnified (for lack of a better term) PSI? goes up, and it only takes once to destroy your kidneys... Worst case you fall asleep, pressure could seriously hurt you.
Sorry, I thought I was really on to something myself, glad you’re OK!

They make catheter valves specifically for doing this. It's something that would have to be discussed with your doctor, of course (which I know the OP has done) since, as Sorung87 pointed out, it's not okay for everyone.

Good info that sparked a question that I have: What is the female members' experiences with catheters when they travel or when they might not have access to facilites that would allow transfering from a wheelchair? I would like, I think, an intermittent catheter and I am a woman. I'm worried there will not be a clean-enough place or space in airport restrooms where it can be accomplished, as getting to my urether is a bit more complicated than it woud be for a man.