botox in the urinary sphincter

Archives1

Staff member
Not sure if appropriate to ask someone suggested botox in the urinary sphincter so I dont have to worry about bladder sensations (as getting to the point of sensory overload as I also have ASD) and would void all the time?

as in wet all the time and no sensations as the opposite with no peeing would be more dangerous and needing cathing which I cant do and perminate options are off the table atm til I loose weight and see a neurosurgeon as nerve issues

Kristina Conroy so how does it work as my OT thinks might be a solution as self cath, leg bags etc are impractable for me as I have issues with both sides retention and incontinence issues and making me fully urinary incont would be safer

I get botox injections every 9 months or so. They do it in a way that the sphincter muscle is supposed to stay open, and let me leak into diapers constantly throughout the day. It actually ends up just decreasing the amount that builds in my bladder before the muscles yield and let it out. I think its due to the fact that they only put the injections into the internal sphincter, and not the external as well. So basically my external sphincter is keeping some held back so I'm not constantly leaking. Makes it better so I don't have to have any type of cathing, but its still not exactly what they want.

I honestly don't have much if any sensations anymore. They do the injections because I have no feeling of needing to go anyway, and can't tell when my vladder is getting full until it is extremely full, and then only because of the feeling of it pushing against other things around it. I haven't ever had bladder spasms that I can feel, but during the urodynamics test they did I couldn't feel the detrusor muscle as it was trying to comlress so I'm not sure if I would be able to feel them if I did have them.

I’ve had bladder Botox several times and it’s a miracle treatment. I have nothing bad to report. I have no idea if my doctor injected it in my internal sphincter, but I doubt it. Botox is absolutely worth trying! It’s a simple procedure; it’s not surgery.

I so much WISH that my urologist would just do this for me. He wants to try everything else and I’m simply there saying “no, we both know the results and I am tired of being a guinea pig”.

Hi @Spaz, can you ask your urologist to do Botox? If he isn't qualified maybe you can get a referral to someone who is. There's a good endorsement for it right up above so I wouldn't see it as being a guinea pig. It may well work for you!

billliveshere said:
Hi @Spaz, can you ask your urologist to do Botox? If he isn't qualified maybe you can get a referral to someone who is. There's a good endorsement for it right up above so I wouldn't see it as being a guinea pig. It may well work for you!

I’ve had bladder Botox but not sphincter Botox. I’d rather not be able to fight it and be in pain or make weird faces and have people ask me “are you ok? What’s wrong?” than where I am now.

@Spaz Your urologist should be willing to try the sphincter Botox if you want; I’m sorry he won’t. It’s one of the most profitable and simple medical procedures a physician can do.

Hi @Spaz, The best thing is to talk to someone who does Botox sphincter injections and ask quite frankly if there is any pain or discomfort involved. That said, ask if that treatment is right for you. If it can benefit you then don't worry about making weird faces or people always asking if you're okay. The ones who do the treatment are used to all types of reactions and they best know how to put you at ease. If you're still not comfortable asking your primary urologist directly for a referral then please ask the nurse or someone you in that office with whom you have a good rapport.
I would hate to see you lose out on something that could help you.
If you still feel your urologist is resisting your suggestions and questions or if you just have a "gut feeling" about the guy then it may be time to find another doctor. If you're not comfortable with that doctor it isn't your fault and you would be well within your rights to seek someplace where you are comfortable and where they will listen to you. I hope this helps because in the final analysis YOU come first!