Bladder Training

Archives1

Staff member
I realize that many users of this site have significant medical issues that have to be managed with incontinence products and medical procedures/products. My heart goes out to you. My issues tend to be nearer the other end of the spectrum. OAB, is present but not overwhelming, and so I have the opportunity to try different things. And yes, I wear protection day or night when I know I might get caught short.

A bit about me. My mom want me to consider Interstim because it helped a friend. My urologist will prescribe meds but I am not ready to for the side effects. Instead, I want to own the problem and do what I can for myself. So the DIY that I am working on is a Diary and Bladder Training. It is sort of like going thru potting training again. Did I say that out loud? If you can, try Bladder Training, it may help you as well.

Anyway the idea is that you delay voiding until you reach an interval, say, 90 minutes. Then when you are ready, increase the time by 10 or 15 minutes or whatever you feel you can manage. In this way we are retraining our bodies to recognize the urge but mitigate it until you are ready. Over time you should be able to wait longer and reduce urges. But you have to keep at it. No cheating! Consume regular and healthy amounts of water. And that is where the Diary comes in. Record the quantity of what you drink and when you void. Be consistent. Don’t worry if you cannot make the schedule time. Just quit early and try again next time. Be sure to record the time in your Diary.

Probably it is best to do training in the comfort of your own home. Wear comfy clothes. I like to wear PJs, a T-shirt & shorts or even leggings. Cotton underwear is absorbent for an unexpected little leak. Don’t sit and watch the clock. It is best if you involve yourself in some other activity, time will pass more quickly. Do your regular housework, clean a closet or garage. Pay bills or work on finances. Sometimes I like to read a book or periodical. Phone a family member or friend and catch up on things. If you have a hobby, dive into it. You get the point. And who knows, maybe you will so busy that you will wait past your scheduled time!

Have caution because it is easy to regress. I have to be careful if I have a coffee with a friend. Alcohol is worse. I may wear protection in those instances. But, all things considered, bladder Training is working for me. It could work for you too. I seem to be gaining 15 minutes every few weeks. And it seems nighttime waking up and even bed wetting is less frequent as well. So the last few weeks I have developed the confidence to extend my training to outside. I work afternoons or evenings so my mornings are free. There is a river walk in a nearby town that follows a river thru nicely wooded scenery and parks. It is nice early in the morning to have a walk in the fresh air, get exercise, enjoy nature and watch people. The good thing is that there are clean restrooms at each end and a café about mid-way. I know how long it takes to walk each section, so with a little planning there is no problem getting to one of the three restrooms and hit the schedule. For me, it makes the bladder training process more real.

Let me know what you think. Or better yet, try bladder training!

Melanie,

Great post, thanks. I have heard of this being helpful for some people. I don't think it solves the underlying issues, but anything that can increase your time between bathroom visits is a good thing.

I have bowel incontinence, as a result of severe IBS, and I have tried this but it just doesn't seem to work too well for that. Nothing is predictable. I really would love to have more freedom to get out and do things but it's virtually impossible to have a semblance of normalcy with my problems. I'm in the process of seeing GI doctors and what not, but so far, nobody can help. I find myself in a vicious cycle that I can't break. For example, if I'm at home, and I feel it coming on, I can use breathing techniques, and fight off the urge sometimes. Accidents happen sometimes but not too frequently. When I'm out of the house though, and I feel an attack coming, my anxiety ramps up making the urge that much worse, and I have no chance to avoid an accident if I'm more than a minute from a bathroom. When I'm driving is the worst. So when I leave the house I'm almost always in a full diaper for protection and I just hate it.

I didn't mean to derail your post, I love the technique and hope it keeps helping you get better!

Sylvia, we are here to support each other. Thank you for replying because we all learn from each other as well.

Definitely Melanie. So many people just don't understand the suffering with these types of issues and the stress that daily life puts on us. Good to have you here.

Bladder training can do great things for folks. My doctor didn't want me to do it because he thought increased capacity would create more of a chance for UTI's, because I can't control the muscles to push it out

All of you are so generous in your posts. This shows how many techniques can be tried and help people with various issues. I am over 65, and did try the various meds for over active bladder. Eventually, my urologist and I decided to try Interstem. For me it worked. I am on my second one because the first one lasted nearly six years. (Battery life)
Also, I had nerve damage from back problems so it was time to place it in a different location. At this point, I would not be without it. But again, this worked for me.
So we all have our own issues, and it's wonderful to have this forum to swap ideas and experiences. Thank you all for your contributions. I look forward to this forum.

It is encouraging to read all of your posts. I saw my back surgeon today and my back is doing well...fusions are happening. I asked him if he could recommend a really good urologist, and he did. I'm waiting to get my appointment with him. I can't wait to see what other options I have. With the nerve damage the bladder training just doesn't work on a regular basis, especially at night and when I have to take water pills. I just can't control it during those times. I feel I can't go out more than a couple of hours and then need to find a restroom about every hour. Like Anita said we all have our own unique problems. I hope this new urologist can help me. I will let you all know what he recommends.