Big news and less stress.

Archives1

Staff member
Got an early Christmas present. my Social security went through and starts in January/February. I am going to have to cut some stuff back but I can/will make it work.

No more stress about where my next $$$ is coming from.

Now I can focus on getting myself to be the best that I can be.

Just hopeful that my landlord will take rent assistance or I will be looking to move so that I have more $$$ for things that I need as my budget will be too strict to go anywhere.

Anyway.

Prayers, Hope things work out for you. It is very hard, things are getting worse and will get worse with this economy.

BarbaraDrabek said:
Prayers, Hope things work out for you. It is very hard, things are getting worse and will get worse with this economy.
I haven't seen you on here for quite a while- hope all is well. Glad you're back!

@ThatFLGuy,

Praise the Lord! ✝😊

I remember how I felt when the struggle was finally over.

We are happy to have just received our notices from SS that our payments have been increased.

Unfortunately, it only looks good on paper because of the increased deductions for Medicare and insurance, increased taxes, and inflation. 😩

I hope you realize that the amount they have approved will be taxed. In the beginning, SS was not supposed to be taxed!

@MezaJarJarBinks @snow

Income must be/have been over $25,000 for an individual in order to be taxed. I was always way under 25k and I was listed as fully disabled thus it does not apply to me no matter what. It is for people that Get Social security income and not Social security.

ThatFLGuy said:
Income must be/have been over $25,000...

I'm not exactly sure what the brackets are, but some article I read said that the rates are going up depending on total income - as high as 85% of SS benefits would be "taxable".

(I'm sure that can't be true, since durinng the campaign, Biden "promised" not to raise taxes on anyone making less than $500,000.)

As with all income taxes in the USA, the percentages are a complex layer of rates. Such a tangled nightmare!

@MezaJarJarBinks Yes, taxes are complicated.

As for Biden promising anything about taxes or school loans, he shouldn’t have said such things because he does not have the power to make financial decisions on his own. That is exclusively up to Congress. Accordingly, if taxes are raised, it’s Congress’s fault, not Biden’s. As proof, look at how he tried to rescue those of us with perpetual school loan nightmares. It was instantly blocked by the courts because he’s not in charge of spending federal money, only Congress is. It’s the same at the state level: the Governor can ask the Legislature for raises for teachers like Utah’s guv recently did, but it’s ultimately up to the state Legislature, and they’ll never do that. Utah has a surplus of $1 billion yet has the highest number of kids per classroom and lowest teacher wages in the nation - by a lot! It shows in the average Utah citizen; they’re frustratingly stupid. The Legislature definitely needs to spend some of that $1 billion on education as the guv requested, but being the most conservative Legislature in the nation, they most certainly will not. They never do what he asks, even though he’s a Republican just like they are.

So when a governor or president runs on financial promises, just remember financial matters are never in their hands, so ignore that part of their pitch.

I know, I know, no politics on this forum.