Benign Enlarged Prostate

Archives1

Staff member
Hello,
My husband is 87 with several other health issues. The Urodynamic test that measures bladder muscle function qualified him for a TURP. He had a TURP thirty years ago. Currently he is on a catheter since July 2022.

The surgeon discussed side effects of surgery: bleeding, infections, possible incontinence, etc. It is a difficult decision.

Anyone else in their 80s have a TURP?

Thanks so much,
Rainell M

My father, in his early 80's, was getting up ten or more times a night to use the bathroom and the urologist recommended a TURP. Dad had also had prostate cancer in his 70's and had had his prostate removed. The urologist said it must have grown back. Dad was not in the greatest shape to begin with, but since we were offered no other options, we elected to go ahead with the procedure. Unfortunately, it did not go well. The urologist met me after the procedure to inform me that, due to the excess build up of scar tissue, he was unable to complete the work. He offered no further advice other than take him home and start him on a catheter. When I finally got in to visit him in the recovery room, he was in a great deal of pain, and it was clear he was not ready to be discharged. After pleading with the on duty nurse, they finally agreed to let him stay another three days, after which he was transferred to a rehab facility where he contracted a urinary infection and then pneumonia from which he never recovered. In retrospect, it probably would have been better to skip the surgery and go directly to catheterization. I wish we had taken the time to get a second opinion, or at the very least, the doctor had warned us of possible complications or alternatives. I'm sure every situation is different, and I hope whatever you decide goes better for you than it did for us.

Thank you so much for responding. So sorry to hear about your dad's experience. My husband's urologist did say that prostates can grow back at any time throughout life. It did for my husband. He had a TURP when he was 50 although not cancerous.

Your dad's experience addresses all of my concerns. First, hospitals these days release patients as fast as they can. We already experienced this with another surgery and from watching our senior friends go through the healthcare system.

Also and unfortunately these days, when surgery goes wrong, you must advocate for follow up care - shouldn't be that way but it is. Again, noticing from experiences.

This is a difficult decision so we have decided to discuss this with our new primary care physician. We like him and he is also a hospitaliist so perhaps he can address some of these mentioned concerns.

Again, thanks so much for your reply and the best to you,
Rainell M

Transurethral Resection of the prostate - for urinary problems caused by enlarged prostate. Been around for years.