Bedwetting before Holidays

Archives1

Staff member
The holidays, and especially the weeks before, always give me mixed feelings. My bedwetting issues as a child always worsened the weeks before Christmas. My parents used to say the excitement was too much for me and i was very ashamed when they told others. I used to wet myself at night once or twice a month which i kept secret, but in that period it could happen once or twice a week, too often to hide for my parents. My bedwetting was ( partly ) caused by a very deep sleep were urgency didn't wake me up. And although emotions might have been a part, or even a trigger for the loss of my bladder control the problem was deeper, and not solely mental. But in that weeks carelessness, happiness and having a safe place among my family made me feel so relaxed that i slept so deep. Positive feelings had a negative side effect and i was well aware of it. Containment of these feelings seemed the best way of dealing with my problem.

Back then, in the early eighties i knew nothing about bedwetting. I thought it was something only babies do, that you had to be potty trained at the age of 4, at night maybe 5, and everything out of that was abnormal, something for special need, or maybe handicapped children. Not for children that are otherwise normal and healthy.
It bothers me now that back then it wasn’t recognised as a problem. I was 8, 9, or 10 and still bedwetting. Downsizing it by saying it's just the tension for the upcoming Christmas gifts, and " he 'll grow over it " didn't justify the problem. For me it was an issue i struggled with all year and came to a climax in that weeks. Of course i myself was to blame not telling the full size of the problem. Of course it’s looking back with the knowledge of today. Back then i blamed myself for having this feelings of happiness and carelessness that would carry me away so much that bedwetting was the result. Doing something about that feelings was the way how to be a child with normal bladder control.
As a teen the world around me obviously got bigger and the carelessness a young child has faded away. Still i had bedwetting, (and bladder pain ) issues but managed to keep it secret. In a way i did grow of it. Not that my bladder issues were solved, but by keeping my emotions under control it was manageable.

Today one can find information about bedwetting on websites and forums like this and i hope children and parents now know better. Where there is knowledge there is understanding and the possibility of treatment. And hopefully nothing but good memorys about the Holidays.

Hi Eden,
So good to read your post. I can appreciate the post as I Have had the bedwetting issue the majority of my life also. Not all parents were so understanding and I’m sure many still aren’t. They just want as the child does too, “to have normal bladder control”, whatever that is.
Hoping yours and everyone here a lovely, dry, and safe holiday full of Love and warmth. As the new year fast approaches I wish you all a wonderful 2020.
Be Blessed my friends, and be a Blessing to someone else too.

Warm regards,
Jim

@Eden98

Eden, I can so relate. My experience was different as I grew out of bedwetting at like age of 3 or earlier, I really don't remember being a bedwetter as a little kid except for one accident at like 6 or 7 years old. But my bedwetting did come back in early teens. It started quietly happening only once every few months or less. But it persisted and continued to this day. As a teen and so called young adult (early 20's) I did notice, and still due, that my bedwetting was more likely to happen at times of stress or excitement. Waking up wet on Christmas morning as a High School Senior was not the high point of my senior year to say the least. Since

I was wetting so infrequent I hid my bedwetting from my parents so they never knew about my bedwetting issue until much latter when I finally told my mom when I was a well established adult that I had a bedwetting issue and had since late middle school. So waking wet as a HS senior, especially on Christmas morning was a total go stealth mode and hide.

To your point I agree def that at times of stress or excitement the chance of wetting the bed it increased. Also that the attitudes realized, as you did, or unrealized as I hid it from my parents, was probably not the best informed back then.

I embrace you fellow bedwetter and now that your struggle is shared and not on you alone.

JayTee