Bedwetting - again?

Archives1

Staff member
First of all - I apologize if this has been discussed in other threads. I am fairly new here - and have tried to search different threads - but although I find much interesting - I haven’t found “my” question.

I have a long history of bedwetting - but dried more or less up in my late teens. Some occasional accidents - but nothing more. I have struggled with OAB and IBD, so I am not unfamiliar with incontinence.

But lately I have experienced more frequent wetting. I have had a stressful period in many ways, and I know that affect my IBD, but I haven’t seen bedwetting frequency being dependent on stress before.

Anyone else experienced something similar? Or are we who struggled with bedwetting in the youth more exposed to start wetting again when we are getting older?

I have used pull-ups, washable mattress protector and disposable sheets on top. I find that the pull-ups (used Tena and Attends) are not up to the volume and anatomy. I am considering regular diapers - but then it is more difficult to avoid going in the diaper. Any recommendations?

The most important is as undisturbed sleep as possible and a solution that is quick and easy to handle - in this case comfort and ease of use count more than environment and waste reduction…

Dear Allan,

I tried out - very open-minded, without shame or embarrassment - to handle my IC simply with wearing adequate protection (diapers)and found that it works fine for me. Nobody else can see (except of my wife, who is very understanding and supportive), we can still live our active and social life without big limitations, I have no kind of pain (as long as I don't try too hard to hold back an urge), I have no side effects.

That's what I'm doing also in the nights - I sleep diapered, and if an urge comes (minimum 3 or 4 times each night) I do not jump up any more trying to reach (often unsuccessful) the bathroom, coming back to bed and trying for half an hour to fall back to sleep. By doing that I found now back to recreating deep sleep phases and a good night's rest.

I'd like to break a little the ice for using adequate proper protection and to get rid of the stigma which is still connected to diapers. Don't get me wrong - I'm absolutely not coming from any kind of fetish, that's for sure not my world - but for me they are simply and open minded a great tool to handle my IC without side effects and with no impact to other people. I don't feel any shame or embarrassment about wearing as my wife also is fully OK that I handle my IC in a way I'm comfortable with and it's not a big deal in her eyes.

To come back to your question: for daytime use I have Attends Flex belt type diapers, which hold more than a pullup-type but give also easy access in case I can reach a toilet - maybe such a kind of diaper could be a solution for you. During the nights I prefer full diapers (Tena Proskin Maxi) which can hold more, and to be honest, in the night I don't avoid any more going into the diaper at all.

@Diana yes - it is the same for my IBD - so therefore I think it is likely that it impacts other problems with continence as well. Frustrating as it is a negative spiral and these problems causes stress as well.

@Hbic60 Thanks for good recommendations - I think it is difficult to move to full diapers - but at the same time, I rather be diapered properly than experiencing leaks or accidents with insufficient protection. The Flex style is probably a good solution for daytime, but I think pull-ups do a good job during the day. But nighttime, I have experienced leaks and I am looking for something else. But that quickly end up with your dilemma, try to reach the toilet and disturb sleep - or just go in diaper and almost sleep through it - those nights where I have the choice… Will the use of diapers make my bedwetting worse?

Allan_59 said:
@Hbic60 Thanks for good recommendations - I think it is difficult to move to full diapers - but at the same time, I rather be diapered properly than experiencing leaks or accidents with insufficient protection. The Flex style is probably a good solution for daytime, but I think pull-ups do a good job during the day. But nighttime, I have experienced leaks and I am looking for something else. But that quickly end up with your dilemma, try to reach the toilet and disturb sleep - or just go in diaper and almost sleep through it - those nights where I have the choice… Will the use of diapers make my bedwetting worse?

For daytime at the beginning of my IC I also used pull-up's wich were very comfortable and gave easy access to the toilet. But I found it a nightmare, being somewhere outside and needing a change. Changing a pull-up in a small public restroom, having to remove shoes, jeans an underwear (used for fixation of the pull-up) to put on a fresh one was always a challenge. With the Attends Flex this is so easy - you don‘t have to undo your clothing and can change standing up freely, even not needing a wall to lean on! And ( especially as a male) you can easily open the front to pee in the toilet and close them easily if you are done.

For me the nights are no dilemma any more, I just decided to go that way which gives me most quality of life. I know from my doctors that my UIC is more or less permanent, I can expect maximum a decrease but no complete healing (or I could try surgery with an AUS which I decline as I have no issues with wearing protection). So, for whom would it be a win, if not 80% but only 60% of my pee go into the diaper?I have to wear the protection anyways, so I see no reason not to use it just in order they are less saturated in the morning when I try (often unsuccessful) to reach the bathroom in the night instead of using them completely and have a good rest!

Hi Allan_59, you asked:
“Anyone else experienced something similar? Or are we who struggled with bedwetting in the youth more exposed to start wetting again when we are getting older?”

The short answer is yes I have had to find different ways to manage my primary enuresis my whole life (64 trips around the sun). There were periods that it only happened once a month other times it was every night. The struggle can be hard at times but I never let it rule my life. Just adapted and over come.

There are many articles published by reputable organizations worldwide that support the fact that people who experience bedwetting as a young adult will experience to some degree throughout their life.

What I find most interesting is the more they study enuresis, the higher the percentage of primary enuresis they report. Use to be 1% now the medical community is thinking it is closer to 5%. It still has a stigma that people don’t like talking about.

Please don’t let this minor inconvenience hold you back. Enjoy all life has to offer.

Allan... Your story is similar to mine. I was a bedwetter until my mid teens, then dried up until my mid 30's. I started wetting the bed again, rarely, like a few times a year. Over the years, it slowly increased in frequency, to the point that now in my 60's, I wet every night again.

When my bedwetting became more than a few times a month, I went back into diapers again. Pull-ups never really worked well for me, to many leaks. I now use thicker disposable diapers like BetterDry when I'm traveling, and cloth diapers with plastic pants when I'm at home. Many people dis-like cloth diapers, but for me, it's a money thing - cheaper in the long run. Also, I can add layers to cloth diapers to avoid leaks.

Hi Allan,
If you’ve noticed a change in your frequency, or your symptoms are behaving differently, please get checked out by a doctor. Could be something simple to treat behaviorally (diet, stress reduction, exercise). If nothing is found after a check up, it may be a chronic condition setting in.

I’ve also struggled with bed wetting my whole life. I’ve had drier periods (late teens/early 20’s) but it’s always been with me. Similar to you, I’ve had more frequency as I’ve grown older, and to the point that I’ve worn diapers at night since my mid 20’s. I’ve got a supportive wife who has never been bothered by it and saw diapers as a practical, side effect free way of managing a health condition.

Since my early 40’s, I noticed a change in my symptoms that now include urge incontinence during the daytime. I got checked out and tested diabetic, so I’ll always recommend seeing a doctor. Then manage the symptoms in a way that makes sense to you.

Each of us is different, and others may have a different approach, so decide for your self what works best for you and give it a go.

Best of luck!

I use an overnight,cloth, pull-up type diaper with plastic pants. Bedwetting nearly my whole life. Didn't use diapers and plastic pants growing up, as they weren't readily available. Bedwetting stopped for a short time after around 18, only to start up again. Used disposables at first, but that was costly. Disposables if I am on vacation. Cloth diapers everywhere else.

I understand I started wetting the bed young had to be in pull-ups or diaper every night I was very embarrassed by it sometimes it would be better and eventually got worse for me to the point I was incontinent by my twenties. I’m full time I a diaper and still going to doctors and always trying

Hi Allen, Others,
All sounds so familiar. I experienced bed wetting as a youth. Maybe a few rare wettings as early teen. Then later, some leaks or wet spotting in my underwear in my 20’s. Nothing alarming. I started having some OAB issues in my 40’s, and urge in my 50’s due to BPH. This included some wetting at night. Pull-ups didn’t work for me at night. However, the Abena M4 pull-up is the best fitting and absorbing disposable of all brands that I’ve tried over the years. I’ll use those for travel and occasional day use.
Now in my 60’s I wet nearly every night. I found the disposable diapers that work best for me. I do occasionally wear a cloth diaper. Cloth is comfortable and economical.

Admittedly I did experience a high level of stress in my career, but never attributed it to adding to my incontinence issues. Certainly could’ve contributed to it though.

I agree with comments about the convenience of wearing a diaper at night simply to avoid the interruption of, and necessity of a good nights sleep.
It’s no big deal and improved my quality of life as I see it.
I jokingly say, whoever invented adult diapers should be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize.
Stay dry, comfortable, and peace of mind,
Joe

I highly recommend finding an urologist that will be do a complete urodynamic study on you. I tried every possible solution to my nightly ( multiple times a night) bedwetting. Have always worn diapers at night plus having complete mattress protection. No matter how thick I layer my cloth diapers I am still inclined to overflow issues and the sheets get a little or allot wet a couple nights a week. Quality disposables work fine during the day but for me are useless at night.
Anyway my study done around age 30 and discovered I have a neurogenic bladder and from my history probably since birth without any other health issues. Going 24/7 diapered many years ago finally removed my daytime stress/ leaking issues. Dr. Recommended surgery as a “ maybe” fix but I’m not going under the knife for a procedure that sometimes “helps”. I am very fortunate in spite of being in a wet diaper most of the time I never have any skin irritation.

@donny4 thank you for the advice - I have been through some urology studies - and I am watching the condition of my prostate, but apart from my IBD diagnosis, nothing has been completely out of order.

My urinary symptoms disappear when I have IBD flare ups - so I don’t have urinary and bowel incontinence at the same time. During flare ups my urine production is reduced - liquid is just flowing through the system ending as diarrhea - one reason why we with IBD often get de-hydrated. I do prefer urinary issues to bowel incontinence… The IBD is cyclic, and it impacts my OAB tendency. My bedwetting returning is a something of a new and growing worry - but no medical reason found so far.

Allen I can relate to your issue. I had urges, frequent urination, feels like I have to pee still after going, etc. for several years and post void dribble as well but never did anything about it.
About 10 months ago I wet the bed for 1st time with no reason. I been to urology 3 times, on meds, still no real answer as why it happens without waking up occasionally. Now they want to me try another med before bed but I don’t really want to take it. I’ll give it a shot I guess.
Like you, I tried tons of pull-ups and any non full diaper solution and none worked.
I gave in, found an overnight diaper that fits and does not leak. Now at least I get a good night sleep and no soaked bed in am to deal with.
I really hope I can go back to “normal” someday or at least get an answer as why.
I’m diabetic; have sleep apnea, now they want me to do another in hospital sleep study.

Pretty good, I was diagnosed with OAB and urge incontinence. I been on Toviaz for about 4 months and it has helped quite a bit. I still wear a pad if I’m going out for a long time away from home. Especially in the AM, idk why but it’s worse before noon.
Dr wants to try oxybutynin fast release or something like that to take before bed but I’m scheduled another sleep study 1st.

I was a bedwetter long before I became a diabetic. Just slept so hard. Tried an alarm. By the time I woke up, my bladder was nearly empty. Went back to diapers and plastic pants.