Bedwetting after taking Tamsulosin for BPH?

Archives1

Staff member
I have recently been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate after a blood test showed an elevated PSA of 21.53. A lump on my prostate gland was also detected during a DRE and ultrasound scan and even after voiding my bladder still held over 300 ml of urine. I have been scheduled for a TRUS biopsy in a couple of weeks but in the meantime have been put on Tamsulosin (aka Flomax) to help me empty my bladder. It worked - too well - and on my second night taking this I woke up totally soaked. I've been on this med now for 9 nights and although my bedwetting seems to have tapered off a bit I still wake up "damp" so am now using a Depends Real Fit to keep my bed dry.

I've read all the stuff I could find about the side effects of this drug but only found two that indicated enuresis as a possible one for some men. (One was from Penn State and the other a Dutch study.)

I was a chronic bedwetter as a kid, well into my teens, and this "problem" almost destroyed my self-esteem but I got over that and thought it was so far in my past (I'm 68) that it couldn't bother me anymore. Wetting the bed again at this stage of my life sucks, to be blunt.

So here's my question for anyone else who has had the same experience with Tamsulosin and bedwetting: Is it temporary and can I expect it to taper off and stop as my body (and bladder) adjust to it? (As to what may happen later, if I have to have my prostate surgically removed, that's another question for later I guess.)

I did Pubmed and Clinical Pharmacology searches. I could not find any reference in the current literature. I too was a chronic bed wetter in my teens. I still have this "problem" occasionally. It starts with evening bladder spasms and I jump into a diaper before bedtime.

Please talk to urologist about this issue. It may just not be published. Also call the patent holder of Flomax. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals at(800)243-0127.

Here are the two studies I found:

The Dutch researchers did recommend to the patent holder that enuresis be included in the "Possible Side Effects" but they declined to do that. My guess is that, because there was only a small number of men affected, it wasn't a matter "of concern" to most. Right, so much for the concern of those of us who have experienced this side effect. *sigh*

How much of a concern was bedwetting as a teen to me? Enough that I lied about it in order to enlist and volunteer for Vietnam combat in order to "grow up and be a man or die trying" either option being acceptable to me as I had only been "dry" for a couple of months at the time I enlisted. (I never had a dry night until sometime late in my Junior year of High School - 17 - and didn't get to reliably dry until I was a Senior - 18.)

I will be discussing this with the Urologist at my next appointment though I will continue to take the meds until then since the other side of this w/o the Tamulosin is urine retention that can cause a UTI or kidney stones. Until the problem is resolved I guess it's wearing a pull up at night. Better than the cloth diapers and rubber pants I had to wear as a kid, I guess. *sigh again*

Thanks, btw, for your reply. To be perfectly honest I do not want to be on this site and wish I never had to even think about this problem again - - but I'm glad I am not alone.

Unfortunately getting a new Urologist isn't an option for me. I am being treated by the VA for "Agent Orange Related Diseases" and if I leave the VA system my only other option, as I am retired, is Medicare which doesn't seem like a better choice at this point. That plus I might forfeit any VA disability benefits in the event the prostate problem is found to be malignant. (Prostate cancer has been determined by the VA to be a compensable disability for Vietnam Veterans who were exposed to dioxin - aka Agent Orange - which I was, many times.)

I will say this though. We have all heard about how difficult it is to get a VA medical appointment and how slow the system can be but that has not been the situation in my case. In fact, things are moving so fast since my PSA blood test came back way above the normal range that it is actually making me feel very nervous.

Whatever happens, though, my immediate concern is the unexpected bedwetting and whether anyone else here has had this experience with Tamsulosin and, if so, did it resolve on its' own and how long did it take? (Crap. I think I just said that I'd rather die of prostate cancer than become a bedwetter again! Weird.)

I also have bph and was put on tamsulosin and now wetting the bed but at my age 70,s dr wants to leave it alone and just live with it.

pek1134 I apologize for not recognizing that you are a Vietnam vet. Perhaps the only info I can provide is my own problem of nighttime urination (nocturia). I am 83 and taking 2-Tamsulosin, mostly to relax the Uretha. I was also put on Finasteride to help shrink the prostate which i took for almost a year without noticing any help but it was a terrible med as I lost sex drive and had erectile dysfunction. I have been on Myybetrique 2 months now with some relief. What I am being treated for is OAB, overactive bladder.I only awaken about 2-3 time night to urinate. Never had continence. Hopefully medicare can help when you are 65. Good luck.

No apology needed. I'm 68 so I do have Medicare coverage but, as explained above, leaving the VA system for treatment (w/o their prior approval) would likely screw up my vet benefits.

I will add this thought, though. We've all heard horror stories about the VA in recent years but I will personally attest that all of the front-line care providers I have dealt with since this prostate diagnosis have been outstanding, at least to the extent I have sufficient knowledge to judge their performance. That the Urology staff didn't tell me that bedwetting was a possible side effect isn't something I blame on them simply because I don't think that medical providers are even allowed to add additional side effects beyond what the FDA has approved, except perhaps in an informal way. That plus they probably only know what they read in the FDA manual. The problem is the manufacturer IMO, as the Dutch study shows, not wanting to add this possible side effect to the list, and most of the problems with the VA come from the freaking bureaucrats and bean counters - many of whom are probably political appointees.

I think what makes the bedwetting worse - for me anyway - is how it affected me for so many years as a kid and then as a teen. This present situation has caused all those old feelings of shame - put away a long time ago, or so I thought - to resurface.

Yes, I do know that my present situation is not my fault - anymore than my teen bedwetting was - and I do know that I shouldn't feel shame about it like I did as a kid. But still...I do. That's why I am on this site. Thanks, all! This is helping more than you know.

Sidenote: For anyone interested I also am a frequent contributor to Quora Digest where people pose questions and others suggest answers. While I write almost exclusively about Vietnam and general military topics one question about bedwetting in older children caught my eye so I provided a personal response based on my own experience. I have included a link; feel free to read my other stuff, too, if interested. If I get enough readers and followers maybe someday someone will pay me for this stuff before I croak!

I am taking FLOMAX for incontinence and I was helped a bit and have less leakage, I had 6 biopsies on my prostate about 15 yrs ago and am 82 so I don't think I will be checked any more because of my age. I still have fecal incontinence problems but not too bad so far. The PSA numbers are very high for you so good luck with the outcome. Jerry

@gelu65

Thank you, Jerry. I'm not out shopping for a funeral home yet so your own experience and reply was helpful. My main goal in life has always been to become a grumpy old curmudgeon in spite of this kind of thing! Just wish I could stay dry at night...

Hi guys, this series is one of the saddest and extremely emotional one I've ever read here!

Pek1134, I understand that you don't want to be here due to the reason but I think that you've been sent to us to remind us what all Service men and women potentially have been exposed to in order to keep our Countries free!

My Grandfather in WW1 was exposed to mustard gas and turned him into another person, a mean, miserable and grouchy man!

I truly hope, as all the others here, will be sending good vibes to you! Definitely do not look at coffins as you'll be able to fight whatever if you get bad news. The very best of good luck to you, we're all here for you and you others too! Hugs, Susan

@Susiecue

Susan,

Your kind words are appreciated more than you know. I did my time in 'Nam and then served for a total of ten years, going on afterwards to college and a successful civilian career. Like everyone, I guess, life has had its' ups and downs. But I felt that there was nothing facing me that I couldn't handle and face down. I conquered my boyhood fears and self-loathing because of "my problem" and it was all behind me, or so I thought. But now this.

I haven't reached out to others for help very often; I usually have been the one helping. I can see that was just false pride. I do want to get through this new thing also and, when I do, I want to be able to use this experience to whatever extent it might help another. I also know now that I cannot do that on my own so I feel that you, and the others who have replied on this thread, are with me. Thanks.

I haven't (yet) explored the other discussion topics here - still finding my way and learning the ropes - but I do look forward to taking that journey and will look forward to seeing you and the others on the way. Take care, and...thanks again.