baby powder?

Archives1

Staff member
Normally I have pretty tough skin against fecal matter but should I still apply baby powder into my diaper to reduce odor? Would it help keep the smell contained?

I do! It also helps with chaffing, especially around the legs. If you want double protection, put diaper rash ointment on first then the powder. I do that sometimes too.

I use baby powder scented oil. It’s supposed to be used as a perfume or cologne. I drop a single drop in my diaper and it smells wonderful even when I’m soaked at the end of the day. Even after multiple cups of coffee.

The talc in talcum powder, is a known carcinogen. This is especially true of talc containing asbestos.

This is from the American Cancer Society:

A good alternative is Burt's Bees Baby Dusting Powder, Talc Free. You can shake it on.

I've run into this issue before. There was/is a class-action lawsuit over the issue of talc with naturally occurring asbestos, and one with added asbestos, but i didn't find a recent reference to the case. Still, my impression is the manufacturers have gotten wary of asbestos and it's mining is in serious decline.
Class action lawsuits, and the serious proven risk of dangers of asbestos, especially of those who handled it making and installing asbestos insulation on ships during WWII (Lung Cancer, commonly called asbesteosis, with a fancy Latin mane) is well known. I've known fellow seafarers with it. Check labeling or research to find out if a particular product has it. The link between talc and cancer is less proven than between asbestos and cancer. Any extremely finely powdered item can negatively affect the lungs. Concerning "genital area use", woman would seem logically more at risk than men, but note how uncertain the research is.
Note how that referenced linked article ends: "Until more information is available, people concerned about using talcum powder may want to avoid or limit their use of consumer products that contain it."

I've used baby powder for my nighttime diapers nearly every night for 53 years and in my pull-ups and diapers 24/7 for past 20 years. Johnson & Johnson is all I ever used that I know of. With the minimum rashes I've had over all those years I will always continue using baby powder.