Axonics Therapy

Archives1

Staff member
I recently received a message from my urologist about Axonics Therapy. In short, they claim that it can help reduce or stop incontinence. First, there's an evaluation period that lets you experience first-hand if this therapy works for you. If you go through with it, they implant a device in your butt cheek and wires are connected to the spine/nerves. It claims to have the potential for long-term relief-the system is designed to provide therapy for a minimum of 15 years.

I don't know if insurance covers it. Does anyone have experience with this?

Sounds like interstim which a couple folks here have had. I had something similar for pain. It didn’t work for me

@PoppyKeith

This is the same company that makes the device that I am waiting on a trial for. They say a lot of good things about themselves. Go to their site and do the survey they will reach out to you after and you can ask questions from one of their RN's

I have my doubts that this is going to work for me as so does my Doctor but worth a try if I don't have to wait tell summer for even the trial one.

@PoppyKeith

The question is, How long are they telling you that you may have to wait to get the trial??

@justej, I'm one of the 2 guys you may be thinking of; I think "ITApilot" is the other guy.

@PoppyKeith, I have not heard about the Axonics Therapy. I have had a Medtronic InterStim since about 2015, and I had it replaced this past year. In fact, I also had a Medtronic heart pacemaker implanted this year as well. (I think Medtronic is the pioneer in these devices.)

I have several posts about my experiences with the Medtronic InterStim you could look up, but I will offer one important piece of advice. You can choose where you want the device implanted. You don't have to accept the butt cheek. For me, that would never work. I had mine implanted just above my belt line. Try imagining how you sit and your sleeping position.

Ask if you can have general anesthesia instead of local. This can be painful. (I have a low tolerance for pain.)

If Axonics is a new product, then it may be that the doctor has little experience doing it. Ask the doctor how many of these he has performed. It really takes some skill to get the wires in the right spot. My doctor used a fluoroscope to help him see where the wires were going.