Atemoxetine for ADHD - Reduced Urge

Archives1

Staff member
I recently stopped taking dexamphetamine for ADHD and switched to Atemoxetine. The latter is a noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor, and has the effect of relaxing my bladder without the nasty side effects of oxybutinin. I still get an urge or two per day, but the severity is completely dialled down to the point where I don’t feel at risk of having an accident. I’m still experiencing a bit of PMD and small stress leaks at the gym, and remain a lost cause with bedwetting, but am absolutely overjoyed by the effect that this medication is having on my daily life. I hadn’t realised how much mental space constantly thinking about peeing and changing wet diapers takes up. I’ve been able to go back to guards and leakproof washable underwear during the day.

@snow sorry to hear that but also curious to know why the Atemoxetine would. I don’t know much about pharmacology.

I know tons about psychiatric care because I’ve had medications and therapy on and off, but mostly on, since I was 16. My dad and my brother both have depression, anxiety, and ADHD; my mom has OCD; and I have all of the above, lucky me - not. So I have lots of experience with any of the medications to treat all of the conditions listed above. Also, I worked in high school and college as a psychiatric medical assistant. I find brain chemistry fascinating so I read nitty-gritty, detailed medical papers about brain chemistry. I am happy to share with you any knowledge I have in this matter.

Norepinephrine is a chemical stimulant in our brains, similar to epinephrine, dopamine, oxytocin, glutamate, and endorphins.

Other brain chemicals, such as GABA, oxytocin, and serotonin are calming brain chemicals that help a person connect lovingly and to allow themselves to be loved by others.

NDRIs like Atomoxetine and Duloxetine work by blocking the transport of norepinephrine and dopamine to dissipate back into the brain cells that released them, as they normally do. In turn, a greater number of the stimulating chemicals remains available in the brain. People with ADHD, as I’m sure you’ve experienced yourself in life, need to live on the edge and be maximally stimulated as much as possible, or, we simply cannot pay attention. Us ADHDs were born with inadequate quantities of norepinephrine, epinephrine, and dopamine in our brains. That’s why we are so often prone to thrill-seek and to novelty-seek: because thrills increase our levels of norepinephrine and dopamine to a normal level, which is what it takes for us to be at the same level as normal non-ADHDs in terms of feeling stimulated enough to get anything accomplished.

An NDRI like Cymbalta (Duloxetine) or Strattera (Atomoxetine) instructs your brain to keep as much norepinephrine and/or dopamine activated and present and circulating in your brain cells as it can, with the end goal that we will become more like normal people and have healthy levels of our stimulating chemicals instead of deficient levels.

Think of a round room with one door. Pretend all of our stimulating chemicals come in for a visit on their way out of the brain. They stay briefly and they want to leave quickly. But NDRIs mean that door was one-way trap door only, and the chemicals are trapped, so your body can use them to get more benefit from of them, so to speak.

So then there is your brain, extra-full of stimulant. It has extra norepinephrine/dopamine in it, and anything that is a stimulant like coffee, caffeine, chocolate, etc. can increase urination because it increases stimulation, as does norepinephrine. So that’s why you may urinate more frequently.

Strattera is one of my all-time favorite ADHD medications. I had to switch to weird Cymbalta (Duloxetine) for pain relief, because for reasons unknown to the medical community, Cymbalta also provides back pain relief, which I definitely need. Nobody in the medical community knows why Cymbalta provides pain relief, but I can definitely attest that does.

Thanks to your post, I just realized that since I’ve recently started taking real pain meds, maybe I can get off Cymbalta and back on my fave instead: Strattera!

Don’t be surprised if you don’t feel Strattera helping you for 4-6 weeks (though I’ve always noticed in a few days - maybe I’m extra sensitive to it; I don’t know). But it’s very nice when it starts working. It’s always on board in a longterm way like an antidepressant, so once it’s in your system, it’s more reliable than Adderall/Ritalin. It doesn’t cause headaches like Adderall. Strattera is just this smooth, mellow, bright ability to concentrate effortlessly, devoid of intensity. It will help you wake up in the morning :)

Thanks for the info, Snow. I took an intro to pharmacology course this semester at uni and understand how the different drug classes work, but don’t know enough about drugs to understand why they might have a different effect on your bladder than mine. I wondered if it could be a medication interaction or something? Or maybe neurogenic bladder just defies logic?

Strattera definitely seems more sustainable for me than dexamphetamine. I was not enjoying the crashes between dex tablets and was experiencing some really intolerable insomnia. The only complaint I have about Strattera is that my heart rate now increases more quickly at the gym and takes a longer time to come back to its resting rate. I noticed the other day that I was able to start and complete a task requiring sustained focus in one hour, when before it would have taken me 6 hrs to several days depending on how bad my symptoms were. I’ve only been taking it for about four weeks, so am interested to see whether things improve even more. I thought that the half life of Atemoxetine was such that it basically leaves your system by the end of the day, so I wonder why people experience greater effects over time if the medication doesn’t build up in our systems. Would love my working memory to tick up a notch or ten!

@Rowan123 I'm trying to follow your and Snow's thinking, I too have ADHD but the only thing that seems to combat it and bring down my impulsivity is Adderall (Amphetamine - Dexamphetamine). I've noticed a direct correlation between the inability to empty my bladder fully when medicated with this drug (I feel like I'm done using the restroom, but after stepping away for a couple minutes and zipping up, my system starts urinating again without my control.) This still happens sometimes when I'm not taking the medication, but much more when I am. Are these similar to your side effects when on Adderall?

@Overkill62 Yes, similar effects on my bladder. Accordingly, I’ve been avoiding Adderall for years because of the bladder complications and because it gives me migraines, but over the past month, I’ve resumed taking it in small doses. My ability to accomplish tasks I hate has improved dramatically. The most surprising aspect this go around with it for me is that it makes me *happy*, or at least content. It has really improved my dark winter sadness and overall outlook. It’s particularly pronounced, and I welcome the mood improvement!!! So do my parents!

Perhaps you, too, can try small doses like I’m doing (taking 3.75mg every four hours). At one point I took 20mg every four hours. I’ve also tried low, average, and high doses of the extended release, which in my late 20s saved my life. However, I now find that I barely need any to feel better, which decreases my headache and bladder side effects.

@snow Yeah same exact outcome with me! I can accomplish tasks I hated like studying for Amazon's AWS certification or installing a new door handle or even cleaning when on it, I'm much more focused, and I am not nearly as impulsive; saying things without thinking first.

It's interesting that you bring up happiness with Adderall. Is that as a result of you getting things done that you didn't want to, or do you think a chemical reaction, it's not an NDRI is it? I take Cymbalta for depression, and that works amazing for that, but does nothing for my ADHD. I take both in concert to thrive in life.

Overkill62 said:
@snow Yeah same exact outcome with me! I can accomplish tasks I hated like studying for Amazon's AWS certification or installing a new door handle or even cleaning when on it, I'm much more focused, and I am not nearly as impulsive; saying things without thinking first.

It's interesting that you bring up happiness with Adderall. Is that as a result of you getting things done that you didn't want to, or do you think a chemical reaction, it's not an NDRI is it? I take Cymbalta for depression, and that works amazing for that, but does nothing for my ADHD. I take both in concert to thrive in life.

Hey @Overkill62;

The NAFC has a rule of no pictures of bodies showing continence products. There is another account on here with said content - just figured I would say something before it is seen as acceptable.

Not trying to call you out or anything - just not the website or place.

Kindly,
Honeeecombs

@Overkill62 I take Cymbalta, too :)

I have a lot of anxiety and OCD, too, so when I’m not getting things done I feel helpless and bleak. Then I get depressed. So yes, I think getting things done certainly cheers me up and therefore improves my confidence. But even if I wasn’t accomplishing anything, I still think I’m happier on ADHD, which really feels nice, particularly at this tense time of year.

@snow sorry for the late reply. I haven’t been on here for a while.

I had a bad experience with extreme fatigue on 70mg so went cold turkey for a week and then increased the dose by 10mg each week until I got back to 60mg. I’m too scared to try 70mg again as it threw me off kilter for weeks. 60mg is still more helpful than not taking it but I have unintentionally dropped a fair bit of weight due to low level nausea, about 4.5kg since August which isn’t ideal. Bladder urgency is still pretty much under control. I didn’t realise that atemoxetine reduces the volume of urine produced. After finding this out I noticed that I don’t do a lot of peeing during the morning and have to go by the clock to reduce risk of UTI by leaving it too long. My bladder slowly gets back to producing my usual volume of urine by night time which may explain why I’m still waking soaked of a morning.

I’m going to stay on this dose for an entire uni semester and compare my performance to previous semesters without the medication to see if there’s an improvement. It’s very difficult to gauge efficacy during the summer, because less focus is required of me and I have a lot more distractions that I allow myself to indulge in.

Have you ever taken guanficine? My psychiatrist suggested it as an alternative last time I was him. It’s an alpha adrenoceptor agonist.

How are you going with your ADHD these days?

@Overkill62 I had strong urges when taking dexamfetamine and was having dozens of accidents per day which was a lot more than normal. I didn’t experience what you’re saying about being unable to urinate or finding it difficult to and leaking after emptying.

@Rowan123 Hey there! I’m glad you have a plan and I think you’ll see a welcome improvement. Great that you’re in UNI! :) I’m glad you’ve figured out your dose. I also typically experiment in the beginning by finding my lowest dose for efficacy, without too many side effects.

Make sure to take extra great care of your teeth when you take medications that cause dry mouth.

Thank you much for asking; my ADHD has been better because I’ve continued to take my Adderall regularly. I’m taking 3.75mg 2-3 times per day, depending on what I’m doing that day and what I have to accomplish. My thinking is so much clearer, more organized, more efficient, and more effective. My typical winter blues have been kept at bay a bit, which is such a relief to not have to waste my energy battling the depression of the dark days. So I’m feeling relieved and grateful to have remembered that Adderall helps me and is available to me.

Thanks Snow! I hope so, too!

Noted, thankyou. I hadn’t noticed dry mouth symptoms when taking atemoxetine but my mouth instantly felt dry when I read that. XD

I’m really glad to hear that. Sounds like the right med for you. I would have loved to continue dex, but I love my sleep more and I was absolute insomniac when taking any amount of it. I’m glad that your mood disordered stuff is at bay. It’s so nice when one medication helps with a bunch of conditions at once.