As we age

Archives1

Staff member
Have others here, noticed their incontinence increasing as they age. I know it does, and my urology PA said she expects it, and will continue on our journey making decision's along the way

I totally agree. In my 60’s and having 4 prostrate surgeries, pelvic floor worn out cause by 2” different in foot length cause by an accident at a young age.
I this point it doesn’t bother me. Loss of hearing, decreased eye vision and arthritis in all parts of my body is much worse than using incontinence products.

I will be 76 next Saturday, so yes, age is a factor. Not having the best bladder control for years combined with a prostatectomy, removal of a large bladder diverticula, heart failure, and now pretty severe spinal stenosis and peripheral neuropathy I continue to manage by wearing diapers. Some days I could possibly get by without them, but can't predict when those days will be. I guess I have accepted my new normal...prepare for the worse, and hope for the best.

Even our windshield wipers stiffen with age, bounce, and make a scraping noise. I've read that windshield wiper aging is caused by the "CROSSLINKING" of the molecules of the rubber. Hardening of our arteries takes place likewise, although there are several reasons why it takes place. (We can find a lot of good articles on YouTube written by people who claim to have degrees in diet and arteries.) Focusing on the care of our arteries may be our best priority.

My experience has been that my overactive bladder definitely has become more overactive over the years. That which was taken care of by pantiliners at fifty requires “heavy flow” pads at eighty. Nighttime drips on the way to the bathroom then have evolved into the need for Tena “overnights” now.

@Diana - when did you see the change? I have a long history of bedwetting as a youth - but it has been more or less ok for many years? I am turning 60 this year - and I have seen some growing frequency and issues? So I am wondering if the bedwetting catching up with me is part of the aging?

@Allan_59 There was no sudden change, rather a slow progression over the years. I was examined by a urologist before I began to wake up wet, and then again when I stopped taking the (only moderately effective) Myrbetriq that she prescribed because it raised my blood pressure. She diagnosed Overactive Bladder and told me that symptoms sometimes change over time. My gynecologist said that my problem is related to the thinning of my vaginal walls, which can be treated with topical estrogen (bad idea for someone my age.) Aging and the passage of time go together, so maybe a progressive disease is progressing, and oh yeah, I’m getting older, too. Hope at least some of this was helpful.

I guess years back I had a upfront visit with my PCP, and the urology PA, that I see, and asked them to be straight up with me, I actually said I won't feel bad if your blunt. Since then if it can be wonderful, it has been. And it seems when they attend training, they try to implement something that can help. They are the A team.

The other day I read that our tendons turn into a jerky-like structure and that’s why people move more stiffly as they age. Ain’t life grand?