Artificial Urinary Sphincter

Archives1

Staff member
I've been considering this for two years and finally did it.

Five days ago, I had surgery for an AUS at Jacksonville Mayo Clinic. I was happy with everything; people, nurses, doctors; everything. The only thing is that they are so careful about patient privacy, was that they won't put you in touch with other patients who have had the surgery. This is why I'm telling my story here.

The surgery went very well and I had no need for pain medication. But while in the hospital overnight, they insisted I take Tylenol. The AUS I have is AMS 800. I'm looking forward to going back in 6 weeks and being instructed how to use it and trying it out.

Another bit of information: I am black and blue on my testicles and half my penis, and the first few days I was quite swollen in the same area.

The doctor that I worked with told me his goal is to get a patient down to a pad a day or less. As far as I'm concerned, that would be a life changer for me.

I’m scheduled for an AUS on August 26th at Mayo Phoenix. Thanks for your input especially the black and blue part! My expectation is no pads at all!

I had mine implanted on March 28th. I had a little situation with the wound (completely my fault), and had the AUS activated 7 weeks later. I was almost completely incontinent before the procedure, going through 5 pads a day or so, more if I golfed. I now go to bed with no pad on, and wake up dry. If I golf, I will put in a depends guard (swinging a golf club 50 times is kind of a stress) but I don’t have to change the guard until well after I’ve completed my golfing day. I still wear a thin guard during the day, just to catch the random leak, if I’m not golfing. I can go through a whole day with basically 1 guard. But, for someone who went through 5 or more a day for 5 years, I’m pretty freaking happy!!! My surgery has given me back a fairly normal life. It’s something you’ll have to get used to. I still drop trousers to activate the AUS, but it’s a small price to pay. I’ve practiced one-handed operation of the device, and I’m getting there. Long story short (too late for that, huh?), the AUS is indeed the greatest invention since sliced bread!!! Best of luck to you!!!

I've had my second implant Nov, 2021. The swelling & black & blue is normal and will be gone by the time the AUS is activated. There should be no leaking but you should wear a light pad such as Depend Shields for an occasional drip or for a cough or sneeze. Believe me and the others, you'll be happy you did it!!

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I am scheduled for surgery to implant an AUS in October so the more information I can find the better. I am sooooo ready to lose the pull-up and 4-5 pads a day!

JohnAM; How long did your first AUS last?

Thanks again to all!

Bill

JohnAM
Why did you have to replace the AUS? Did it malfunction, was there erosion, or some other dilemma? Mine is really new, so I’m hoping to get more than 8 years out of it. My doctor says he’s had patients that have gotten 15 years and more. Thanks!!!

Yes, it was erosion of the urethra around the cuff area. There might be some that have gotten 15 years but I think the life expectancy is 8 - 10 years.

I had my AUS device implanted May 25 of this year. It’s been activated two weeks now. I am using one heavy pad per day. Mainly because I have three bundles left.I tried going with one ultralight pad but that wasn’t enough protection for a whole day. I was totally incontinent before the surgery. About eight pads a day. Things are better now, but still some issues.

I’m leaking 30 to 40 ounces per day. Some days, I leak more. Physical therapy didn’t work, and neither did Myrbetriq. Two weeks ago I had Botox injections, with no positive response so far. The next step is the AUS. I’m so glad to hear the positive results on this string.

I'm glad that so many of you are discussing this! When I first started looking into this, I couldn't find actual details; what I needed to know. Please keep it going. Six weeks after my surgery, I went back to the Mayo and was instructed on how to use the device. The only discomfort was about 5 seconds when he activated it. Then I had to "practice" right there in the office. The issue I found was trying to grip the device so it wouldn't slip back and forth in the scrotum. After a couple of days I found a good grip and now I'm getting the hang of it. For now, I sit down to pee. In a month or two I'll practice standing up to see whether that will work for me. I was directed to use it every 2 hours for the first two weeks, but have found that a lot of the time, I have to go before the two hour time. Today I took a one mile walk and had no leaking, or at least it was undetected. I used to use 5 to 6 1/2" thick pads per day. Sometimes I'd walk a mile and it would overflow by the time I got back home. Now I use 1 "light" pad per 24 hours and there is little leakage. THIS HAS CHANGED MY LIFE! If you're in a situation like I was, please find a good Urologist and get it done! My Doctor told me his goal with all his patients is to have them use no more than a pad a day!

My 2-week checkup at Mayo Phoenix is this Thursday (9/15/22) and my 6-week checkup is 10/19/22 where Dr. Wolter will be activating the device. My symptoms post-surgery are similar to everyone else plus "diaper rash" caused by swollen testicles rubbing against my legs. Thank God for corn starch to help that! My perineum incision is still sore, and my testicles are still numb but knowing the light is at the end of the tunnel (hopefully) soon, I can deal with these issues until they are healed. Special shout out to PoppyKeith as to what to expect.

I didn't get a rash but I was numb for at least 2 weeks. I had some soreness but never needed after surgery pain meds except regular Tylenol. Even after being warned that I'd had swollen testicles, I was still shocked!