Artificial Sphincter

Archives1

Staff member
Hey folks,

10 months have gone by since my radical prostate removal and I am still incontinent…3 undergarments a day. Has anyone had success with the artificial sphincter surgery or know someone who has?

Thanks,
GMguy

I had one implanted in 2014, could not live without it. Had to have another implanted last year since the original eroded the cuff area of the urethra. Search the forum in the left column for Artificial Sphincter for more posts on this topic. Good luck.

Give it a little while longer before having an AUS implanted, and for goodness sake, talk to a urologist. I was 5 years incontinent, got the AUS surgery in March….best decision ever!!!! But, you should confer with doctors, not just one, but several, before undergoing the procedure. I know it seems like you’ll leak forever, but, there is hope!!!

Agree with James, see a Urologist for your options. Sling surgery may help. Urodynamic testing will determine what's best for you.

I'm told if you only leak during a cough or sneeze. You are considered coninet. Do more keigles. It took be close to two years to dry as to not need protection. I'm 73.5 years old.

I was told the implanted stuff would end MRIs for me. I have Myeloma and it is followed by MRIs and PT scans. Just be sure you get all the info. Good luck!

Hi Etowah,
Actually MRIs are still possible for patients with implanted anti-incontinence devices. There are guidelines in the patient and surgeon guides.

Etowah said:
Oh ho! This is welcome news for me! Thanks, BenW!

Yes! From what my urologist told me; Interstim devices can be used in MRI; alot of newer technology medical devices are starting to become compatible with MRI machines.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs