Are leaks and odor avoidable?

Archives1

Staff member
Are leaks and odor avoidable? I've been fecal and urinary incontinent for about four years. Maybe I'm a slow learner. In the past year I've become much better at handling the conditions. With fecal incontinence I know there is an odor and I've assumed that goes with the territory. I just avoid people as best as I can when it happens until I can get cleaned up. Most of the time it's in the morning when I've left for work. That seems horrible but I think I manage it fairly well. I have not noticed people close by appearing to notice. But I'm not sure.

Then there's the urinary problem of leaks. I have a career. I work full time in a deadline environment. Sometimes I just can't change when I know I need to. Sometimes on a long trip home, I can't. I also assume that occasional leaking is to be expected. I have this problem a few times a week usually. Sometimes less. Could I be taking better measures? Can I without making life style, career and aesthetic compromises? I desperately need to hide and at the same time I want to be me the way I was before incontinence. Or do I just have to ultra bundle up and be uncombatable all the time. Or should I realize that occasional messes just happen and when they do, clean up and move on. Full of wonder!

I also have total incontinence and have high volume bowel incontinence at least once a day, sometimes more. Devrom is your friend, it minimizes odors and works best when taken before meals IMHO. (Chlorophyll probably works even better but I find it takes awhile to start working). Wear a high quality diaper, I find the ones with a wider crotch and high leak guards work best. I typically use a full length diaper booster, I can share brands of both if needed. I also wear a PUL brief over the diaper and then a thicker plastic pant which is either a bloomer or generously cut plastic pant, it needs to come down your thigh some. I then wear a boxer style shapewear garment over all of this to hold it tight to my body and reduce bulk. I think this is key as everything is held secure. This is just about an odor proof set-up for me. I often need 2-3 hours of time before I can get home and change and this works (I don't have skin issues, use a good zinc cream and cornstarch). I hear your pain and unfortunately have blowouts and leaks often, I have almost never had a wet spot or leak. Down side is bulk, I have worn the above for years and no one says anything, I too am a professional and am in public every day. My current girlfriend actually helped me with the devrom, plastic pants and shapewear research and experiments as she is sensitive to the odors of incontinence, she is till around ;-) Try a number of things and be patient. Good luck and hope this helps

OMG, i realize it sounds crazy but i simply can’t do that. i hate heat. i hate being wrapped and enclosed like that. as it is now i spend 20 minutes in the mens room with my pants down trying to cool off (at work) a few times every day. i would rather stink. i’d rather get fired. you can call me crazy and wrong. i understand. but it just wont work. but i do appreciate your contacting me. i was somewhat aware of what you’d be saying. to me, “bulk” is worse. i am afraid i’ll just have to manage until something else changes the situation.

thanks

I only have issues with urinary incontinence so can't speak to bowel issues but I've found PUL pants work well at minimizing odors and at least holding leaks to keep them from soiling clothes. They are also light and breathe slightly and don't have too much bulk so they might help if that is something that would work for you.

I don't know if I can help as your problems and causes... are more severe than mine but as a person who has been partially fecal incontinent for years (motorcycle accident), I can tell you what I do.

"Are leaks and odor avoidable?" Short answer... yes.

With bowel problems you will find yourself in situations where you cant just get to a bathroom and change. Cleaning up fecal matter is a lot harder than urine and sometimes its just better to not change and wait until you can get to a shower. With the right protection it can be accomplished.

Whoopsss... I sneezed hard and now I have a problem. Sound familiar?
I have found that thicker briefs are not always better and I prefer something like an attends waistband brief. Deep leg gatherers, good tapes, and fairly comfortable... all without the bulk of something like a dry 24/7. I put plenty of barrier cream on, a diaper, then a fairly tight pair of real rubber pants on. There are several companies that make them, and they are specifically designed to hold smells in. As long as its not a severe "issue" I can usually go all day with no problem. Little to no smell and the tight rubber pants leave no imprinting even in tight pants.... you can hardly notice any bulk.

Good hygiene, plenty of barrier cream, a well constructed brief, and tight real rubber pants.... works for me.

I see you have a heavy urinary problem and you hate anything tight fitting.... so... I'm not sure what would be ideal for you.

my f i is most likely to occur on my way to work. for now, if i can’t avoid it happening, i just stay away from people as much as i can. i head straight for the bathroom at work and clean up. it is not great. but not nearly as bad as when it first started and i had no idea of how to manage it. But now, if i am ever caught in a situation where i need to be with people, i guess i’ll be in trouble. sadly, i know i can never wear tight things in layers. i am still refining and improving my method so maybe it’ll get even better.

Morning bowel care routine, clean-out will help as there will not be anything to expel if it is all removed before you leave the house. Have seen several posts about people with a set morning system that they reply on to get thru the day with no bowel issues out of the house.

Chlorophyll helps with the odor also as I mentioned above PUL pants are light and help contain any odor

I had problems during hot weather, but have adjusted to it without a great deal of stress, difficulty or trauma. I am only wet though, so I can choose my protection from a wide range of what's available. I don't like the heat to begin with, so I can imagine how you feel. Don't give up or be discouraged. You will find what works best for you.