Always a good time

Archives1

Staff member
This will likely be more useful to our female friends here...

So I’ve been having uncharacteristically high blood sugars, and I ended up in the ER. Now I’m a VERY generously sized woman, and I don’t think they believed my self-reporting about the food intake and resulting blood sugars, so they admitted me. I had brought a few of my cheap pull-ups with me and was letting the nurse know what we were up against.

WELL, she told me they had this thing called PureWick, which you may know is a sort of external catheter for women that is attached to a suction system. An incontinent friend and I have been talking about it for at least a year but it’s insanely expensive and she’s convinced there was something she could rig to accomplish the same thing, but 1) does it work and 2) what compromises the catheter.

It’s only useful when you’re in bed, but that a big deal. It DOES work, well. Additionally, I was able to score a catheter part so we can see how it’s made. I was so excited to try it and to find out it works!

Now, the severe curtailing of food in the hospital did not provide any relief from the high blood sugars and they can’t find any medical reason for it. I’m in a particularly stressful time right now, so hopefully when that eases, the blood sugars will be better. Only in the hospital overnight.

Hey Lee hope you can let the stress go and lower your sugars!
Funny I was thinking about a device last night that someone here invented for his wife and showed advertising for it. I wonder if it is the pure wick?

I'm sorry you're in the hospital! Not a nice place to be. Hopefully you can get things sorted, though.

@LeeC I've seen a video on them and personally would not believe it could be possibly comfortable having a cup sucking the life out of your money box all night long. How on earth could you possibly sleep through that? What if you move during the night and the cup moves slightly?

Never heard of Pure Wick and I have gone to 50 urology doctors. Went to Cleveland Clinic and they gave me an inserted wire on my bladder to stop urgency.

Laalaauk, I found it totally comfortable. You do not experience suction. The “catheter” really just kind of lays against you. It kind of looks like a hotdog. It is a plastic tube inserted in a fabric tube that is rather rough. That is wrapped in a gauze bandage tube and it sits in a rubbery case that covers half/one side of the catheter. The extremely soft gauze is the only thing that touches you and it is pretty much just laying against you. When you urinate, it flows into the catheter and the suction pulls it from the catheter. I had no strange sensation whatsoever.

They had me wear an incontinence brief over it to encourage it to stay in place. I was unable to sleep and literally tossed and turned the entire night and there was no leakage! Nothing. I am sold. There is a suction sound when you urinate but it isn’t loud.

A friend told me all about this at least a year ago. I had a very difficult time imagining it, how it would work or how it would be useful. It is a much better option than what I use now - a pull-up with several extra pads inside, laying on a towel and a couple of bed pads. Assuming I lay on it correctly, I don’t get the bed itself. There is a fair amount of trash created, plenty of laundry to do and I still wake up wet. I’ll take Pure Wick if I can get it!

Jrpoorman, you invented it?

Hi Lee,
Nope, I didn’t invent it but I did read the story about the gentleman who did while caring for his wife. BD / Bard sells the system now. That’s about all I know about it other than they do make a version for use in Hospital and one for home use. BD purchased Bard over a year or so ago so you will have to google Purewick for more info.
I can say I have read several positive reviews from users. Hope this helps. Not sure if they have a male version yet.

I am so glad to hear Lee's review this is a lot better than I could have hoped. Definitely could be something to follow up