Advil and Benadryl, weird, seem to work

Archives1

Staff member
I have experimented with this a number of times, and have to say it works 70-80% of the time. No problems in the night (which is the only time I have a difficulty. Why would this work? Anybody have any ideas? I am hesitant to rely on this as taking these biologics in the long term have negative effects on health ([Advil] promoting liver problems, [Benadryl] link to dementia. Thanks for your input. Have a blessed day!

I apologize, I was not clear. I thought the appearance of my submission to this site implied it: Yes, enuresis - night incontinence. Again, apologies for lack of clarity.

Well, I was guessing that is what you meant, but...the reason I was asking, is that I am using injections for Erectile Disfunction, caused by nerve damage from my robotic radical prostatectomy and using Sudafed helps relieve the erection afterwards...

So, not directly what you were asking about but similar, in that over-the-counter drugs can be helpful if not overused.

My suggestion would be to research the ingredients and their effects in Advil and Benadryl.

Good luck & +God+bless+

I
The site is a bit ambiguous sometimes so I, myself, do try to read all new members titles but I do miss some information. (WELCOME!!!)

The group is compromised of people who have become incontinent through unknown causes, injuries, lifetime since childhood, night bed wetting 24 hour incontinence, serial trauma, child bearing, I'm sure I'm missing quite few categories but a common reason is prostate surgery. There are some with very challenging chronic conditions under going surgery.

It goes to show how vexing any level of incontinence for any reason is and how glad we are to hear suggestions like yours because this is a problem with so many lifestyle issues and yet the reasons and lifestyle effects of any level of incontinence make us all try to get to a better quality of life through virtually any means necessary.

I like the OTC idea you find helpful never heard of it before. You hit the nail on the head: every single medication carries risks if used long term. Yet the quality of daily (or nightly life) is of great enough importance that we do reach a compromise in all things whether it be redirecting our expendable income to a brand of protective wear, risk side effects of medication or take on a surgical procedure.

I guess that's the bottom line, coping and compromising but also sharing ideas.

As I am in your category, enuresis, I want to try this solution if only as an occasional use as needed.

No it is not. It began about nine-ten years ago. Started slow - once every other month, to 4 times a week

Benadryl is an antihistamine that can cause urinary retention in some folks. Maybe why you are noticing the difference

@rebuild99 - I find that interesting also. But A. Where did you find this info? And B. What are the amounts that you take? You are correct about taking anything long term, but I would be curious to try it. Does it work first time, or does it take awhile to see results? - Pam

First, is does not work all of the time, and I am not sure why it does work, when it works. I myself am in an experimental phase. I only passed this on to see if others noticed this, to get other's input if they have noticed something similar, and to possibly help others.

I learned about it accidentally. When visiting out of town to visit my kids, I noticed that I might sleep better if I took advil and benadryl (amidst the commotion they might cause, and the unpredictable schedule). I began to notice I could not only sleep better, but discovered that I also had fewer "night accidents".

As Dogsbc postulates, I think the benadryl does cause urinary retention, especially in those who have an enlarged prostrate (like myself). This prevents me from having to make so many bathroom visits.

I know some things that help in the mix… I try to end eating by 5:30 every night, and avoid spicy food, alcohol, citrus fruit, and salads.

Thanks for the questions. Hope my responses offer some help in the case you wish to engage in the experiment as well.

@rebuild99 Thank you for giving us the back story. Funny how it was an almost unintentional, accidental discovery.- Did you take one Advil? I have never had it, so I don't know the dosage. How much Benadryl? Have you continued this combo on a daily basis? - And yes, it would be interesting to hear from others, even just testing it out. Pam

I was taking one advil, and one benadryl. I noticed some positive outcomes. I am still not sure that this was helpful, but perhaps seems more than coincidence. As I wrote, I am still experimenting. It does not "work" all the time. I guess I would get a more positive result if I took two (or more) Benadryl, but I am hesitant to do so because an uneasy about the safety around using that much in a regular way.

I don't know why but if I was away from home visiting family or in a hotel I had a decrease in outflow of night issue.
I thought it was due to dehydration from flying but a recent vacation by car to a hotel firstv3 days were drier than normal.
I think partly psychological reaction

Interesting,perhaps true. I am also intrigued about "psychological reaction". I know the mind has more control on our body than most could guess. So, I would be interested in benefiting even from a "pyschological reaction". Is there a way that our minds might be more involved - to our benefit. As an example that goes in the opposite direction, I know when people are under stress, night incidents frequently accelerate. In either direction, there is the mind may indeed play "a" part.

Rebuild99. I confess I haven't bought the benadryl and advil to try this yet. I take no medication for anything as a general way of life but part of me is wanting to try this even for occasional resite so I will.
As you said need testers.

@Rothpirate16 - I'm sorry Rothpirate16, maybe I am being obtuse about your comment that ibuprofen contributes to a more concentrated urine. Would that lessen the incontinence or aggrevate it even more? - Pam