Advantages & Disadvantages disposable & cloth diapers

Archives1

Staff member
Hi Everyone,

There is no real perfect Protection out there, for they all have some disadvantages. So

I want to share with you how disposable work. So you have a better understanding of there good points and bad points as it goes with any product they all have: strengths and weaknesses.

Disposable diapers (Including GoodNites, UnderJams, Pull-Ups, training pants,adult pull-ups,adult briefs/diapers ) and even work the same as cloth diapers, but instead of cotton fibers. You have cellulose fluff and polymer gel or gel crystals in some disposable diapers. When a wetting event accrues, the gel absorbs the liquid in the product, which causes it to swell 3 to 4 times its original size to lock up the liquid. This gel can only absorb once, so any additional wetting events the liquid just pools next to the skin and combines with bacteria on the skin, which creates an environment for the bacteria to grow. When they grow, they produce a waste product of ammonia and it is this ammonia that gives that strong smell in the urine and causes the rashes.

One of the advantages is that disposable diapers have a product that absorbs unpleasant smells, which cloth does not have that advantage.

Cloth diapers are made of absorbent material, such as cotton. (Cotton is the best natural fiber for absorbance). When the cotton fibers come in contact with a liquid, the individual cotton fibers will absorb as much liquid as possible and then pass the remaining liquid to the next dry cotton fiber until all the liquid is absorbed.

This process of absorbing liquid is called wicking. This wicking process is the same process that makes an oil lampwork. (An oil lamp has a cotton wick that sits in the oil reservoir and absorbs the oil, conveying it to the burner.)

When an accident happens, the liquid will puddle between the skin and diaper. The individual cotton fiber will then start wicking (drawing the fluid away from the skin and up to the rest of the diaper). If the diaper has enough cotton fibers, it will then absorb all the liquid. However, if the diaper does not have enough cotton fibers, then the process of wicking will stop. This is called saturation point.

The real advantage of cloth diapers is that they will keep absorbing additional wetting events where disposable will not. However, the cloth is bulkier in the beginning but just as bulky as disposables when wet.

Diapers will leak if they become over-saturated.

You will find that diapers will leak if they become over-saturated. (Just like a sponge that can’t hold any more water. Just by touching this sponge it will cause the water to ooze out.) When your diaper is oversaturated and moves around in your sleep, hydraulic forces will cause the liquid to ooze out around your legs and waist.

So it is essential that you have enough absorbency in a diaper. If you don’t select the correct diaper, what you will find happening is the urine will puddle next to the skin and might cause you or your child to develop a diaper rash. (The bacteria in the urine produces a byproduct called ammonia that causes the rash.)

The rule of thumb is for every ounce that needs to be absorbed; you need two ounces of cotton fiber. So if you or your child voids 8oz at night, you need 16oz of cotton fiber in the diaper.
83a73b0e602ac8303937e78204a598db.jpg

What cloth one are these. I'd like to see more of what they look like. Also I like the one long strip on disposable verses the two small tapes.

Got to congratulate you DP you are such a good resource person.
I hope people know they can look at your threads and get a really good lot of useful information on many incontinence products.

Initially, cloth diapers are much more expensive. I've seen the cost for one is anywhere from 40.00-130.00. Then you need to wash and dry them.
Also depends on how many you use per day.
I only use one per night for my bedwetting.
You also need plastic to go over the diapers.
Plastic pants are reasonably priced, anywhere between 15.00-40
00 depending on size and type.
I use a polyurethane type I have for years and still is in good condition.

My situation is, after years of trial and error, the following. Ive wet at night almost every night, and usually more than once a night. The only diapers that mostly keep the bed dry are good adult prefolds with 3-4 baby prefolds as stuffers. the plastic pants must be pretty snog and tucked in at all the edges. maybe a couple nights a week the sheets will get small to medium size wet spots as Im usually soaked each morning. Plastic under my sheets is essential. No disposable has ever performed well for me overnight.
During the day xp5000, or better dry are pretty good at not leaking and holding a large amount of pee. I can usually get 12 hours out of a diaper. Right now Im on a hydration program which is healthy but I do have to change my diapers more often. I am very comfortable and pretty stress free handling my condition in this fashion. I dont broadcast my condition but also dont hide from it. I will let others know when necessary like times sharing hotel rooms or changing/showering at my health club. My doctor knows as well as my physical therapist. No one has ever had anything negative to say about it. Long gone are the numerous embarrassing situations I faced in my teenage years. very tough being a healthy athletic teenage guy in diapers every night. especially when it was discovered, too often.