Advantages & Disadvantages disposable & cloth diapers

Archives1

Staff member
There is no real perfect Protection out there, for they all have some disadvantages. So

I would like to share with you how disposable work. So you have a better understanding of their good points and bad points as it goes with any product they all have: strengths and weaknesses.

Disposable diapers (Including GoodNights, UnderJams, Pull-Ups, training pants nd all other pull-ups including adult pull-ups) work the same as cloth diapers, but instead of cotton fibers. You have cellulose fluff and also polymer gel or gel crystals in case of some disposable diapers. When a wetting event accrues the gel absorbs the liquid in the product, which causes it to swells 3 to 4 times its original sizes to locking up the liquid. This gel can only absorb once so any additional wetting events the liquid just pools next to the skin and combines with bacteria on the skin, which creates an environment for the bacteria to grow, and when they grow, they produces a waste product of ammonia and it is this ammonia which gives that strong smell in the urine and causes the rashes.

One of the advantages that disposable diapers have a product in them that absorbs unpleasant smells, which cloth does not have that advantage.

Cloth diapers are made of absorbent material, such as cotton. (Cotton is the best natural fiber for absorbance). When the cotton fibers come in contact with a liquid. The individual cotton fibers will absorb as much liquid as possible and then pass the remaining liquid to the next dry cotton fiber until all the liquid is absorbed.

This process of absorbing liquid is called wicking. This process of wicking is the same process that makes an oil lamp work. (An oil lamp has a cotton wick that sits in the oil reservoir and absorbs the oil, which then conveys it to the burner.)

When an accident happens, the liquid will puddle between the skin and diaper. The individual cotton fiber will then start wicking (drawing the liquid away from the skin and up to the rest of the diaper). If the diaper has enough cotton fibers, it will then absorb all the liquid. However, if the diaper does not have enough cotton fibers, then the process of wicking will stop. This is called saturation point.

The real advantage of cloth diapers is that they will keep absorbing additional wetting events where disposable will not. However, cloth is bulkier in the beginning but just as bulky as disposables when wet.

Diapers will leak if they become over-saturated.

You will find that diapers will leak if they become over-saturated. (Just like a sponge that can’t hold any more water. Just by touching this sponge it will cause the water to ooze out.) When a diaper is oversaturated and the wearer moves around in their sleep, hydraulic forces will cause the liquid to ooze out around their legs and waist.

So it is important that you have enough absorbency in a diaper. If you don’t select the right diaper, what you will find happening in the urine will puddle next to the skin and might cause the wearer to develop a diaper rash. (It is the bacteria in the urine that produces a byproduct called ammonia that causes the rash.)

The rule of thumb is for every ounce that needs to be absorbed, you need two ounces of cotton fiber. So if the wearer voids 8oz at night, you need 16oz of cotton fiber in the diaper.

choose your diaper according to your needs

Unless I'm missing something though because I actually tried cloth one a few times and I could feel the wetness before morning most of the time. To me it was rather uncomfortable and it was actually cold feeling.
With the disposable there are many mornings I can't be sure if I had wet or not. The topsheet seems to keep away that cold feeling and (I know this sounds kind of groos) even when I wake up, I will sometimes get up and do morning things for a few minutes before heading to take it off. With cloth, I need to get that off me as asap when I wake up.
This has been a few years back so maybe it's different now but I couldn't do the cloth very well.

@DPCARE Thank you for the information. I learned a few things. I didn't know that disposables absorb only once. And I didn't know the ratio of liquid to cloth. Excellent to know this!

One other major difference is that disposables have no side padding. I'm a side sleeper and find that a big drawback that results in leaks. Although, I suppose extra inserts can help.

I recently started experimenting with reusable products for night time and using disposable products during my working hours. I used to buy a case of Northshore Megamax for my work hours and betterdry fire my evening and weekend protection. Using cloth has enabled me to reduce my monthly product purchases in half.