Abena or other brand pads

Archives1

Staff member
Hey guys,

So I just wanted to drop in to make a post in regards to pads that are inserted in underwear. I was hoping any of you could be a reference in regards to myself switching from cloth briefs to something more independent.

I've made a prior post in regards to threaded Armor, but I've recently been thinking about protection today because of my bladder spasms.

I know men who suffer from prostate surgery issues use replaceable pad products and it's something I'm not familiar with - does anybody who use them use the mesh type underwear or use regular Hanes or Fruit of the Loom underwear? I wish my life was getting better in the sense that I could afford a more quality product so that I am not suffering all of the time.

I don't think anybody truly knows the pain that I am going through in that regard. But this; my health issues is my reality - and it's something I can open up to about here and thank you everybody for your support.

I suppose when it came to a more quality product I should have been better prepared.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

If i dont need long lasting protection (diaper), I just use the Tena, Super Guard level 3 inside any underwear i have. Work well for a 2 to 3 hour period.

The pads and inserts are for light to moderate wettings. It will require to change them more often, which will be costly in the long run.
It might be better if you get a more absorbent product.

I have had issues with the edges wicking moisture into the supporting underwear. If you use the pads it is critical to make sure the material lays flat in the underwear and the edges extend beyond the pad itself.

Something I have kept around for a long time is the Tena Flex. It’s a lightweight cloth type backed Velcro belted lightweight brief which I can get way with under a nylon athletic boxer for trips to the gym, short walks with the dog etc. especially when I’m sweating a lot. Because I usually have large voids I have to change often like 5-6 per day, but they are a nice change from the betterdry or Megamax occasionally. For your type of leakage they might be perfect?

I wear Abena pads and fixation pants to hold them in place.

In 2013 I had an accident causing spinal injury, paralysis, spasticity and double incontinence. I have bowel evacuations on alternate days and a suprapubic catheter.

In choosing incontinence wear, several considerations run through my mind. My incontinence is light: I have only a little seepage of fluid from my penis and only rarely any from my bum. My incontinence protection is really only an insurance against abnormal occurrences such as a stomach upset causing diarrhoea.
I wear a pad all the time. These are available in many shapes and sizes and with different absorbencies. I wear Abri San Premium 6 Abena Incontinence | Abena Abri San Premium 6 - Pack of 34 | Incontinence Shop. There are other pads with various absorbencies related to the number in the name of the pad.

My pad extends from the top of my bum crevice to a little above the site of my suprapubic catheter which is about two inches below my navel. It is rare for me to pass any urine through my penis but the pad is useful to soak up any leakage from my catheter site, as well as any faecal leakage.

The pad is held in place by unisex net fixation pants - Abena Abri Fix large Abena Abri-Fix Fixation Pants - Large - 5 Pack (allaboutincontinence.co.uk) or Allanda iD Expert Ultra Large iD Expert Fix Ultra Pants - Large - 25 Pack (allaboutincontinence.co.uk) iD Expert Fix Ultra | Large | Pack of 25 (incontinencesupermarket.co.uk). Nurses and carers refer to them as knickers, pants or nets. They are similar to women's full-sided net briefs without gusset; because they are high waist and stretchy they can be pulled up past my navel; they can be washed many times and last more than a month.
They tend to be tight around my groin. I don't think this is entirely because I have a big bum for my waist size. The leg holes are perhaps made small to avoid the pad slipping out. Whatever the reason, I buy a size larger than what would appear to be my size from my waist measurement. When new, they are noticeably smaller and tighter than after being worn and washed several times - except the leg holes. (There are also versions with short legs. They might avoid tightness around the groin, but their appearance does not appeal to me.)

I was impressed by the design of the Seni Man Fit pads. The pad is long and relatively skinny, but there is a canoe-like pouch crates by leak guards that encompass the penis and prevent fluid (unless in large amount) from slipping off the pad. I found that one pad could handle a void equal to about half of my bladder’s capacity.

@Honeeecombs - I don't think you'd have anything to lose by trying them. It depends what your leakage is like really - they weren't good for me as I have full voids (and the risk of bowel issues is always there). In terms of the underwear, the brand specific ones the continence team sent me really weren't great but you should be okay with boxer briefs. I'd recommend looking for a pad with an adhesive strip as that should keep it in place better.