A side effect of Clonidine improves OAB.

Archives1

Staff member
Background: Male, age 75, with erratic blood pressure. By "erratic" I mean it can swing from 70/40 to 200/100. Therefore, before taking any BP medications, I check my BP. When BP is normal, I take my routine meds. If it is too low, I don't take any meds until it comes back up. If it is too high, I add low doses of Clonidine until it gets back to normal.

I have noticed that Clonidine slows the production of urine. (My kidney tests are normal.)

The side effect is that it improves my symptoms of OAB. Hurray! :)

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Wow! This is great news. I'm happy for you. Thanks for sharing. I'll be looking into Clonidine for sure.

fleemoore said:
Wow! This is great news. I'm happy for you. Thanks for sharing. I'll be looking into Clonidine for sure.

If you have never taken Clonidine before, be careful, you may experience other, unwanted side effects. Only take a low dose until you get used to it. (I think the lowest dose is 0.1 mg.) And only take it at bedtime, because it can put you to sleep within minutes! So, you sure don't want to be driving or operating machines if that happens. :eek:

I have been taking it for many years, so I know how it works on me. It's effect on my OAB is something new. So, like other meds, it can change with time.

Just be careful and work with your doctor.

I used to take it for anxiety - useless for me. I didn’t pee any less. I also didn’t get sleepy, that’s how it usually goes for me with meds that are supposed to make me sleepy!